How Do You Solve These Blackbody Radiation Problems?

In summary, the two problems involve blackbody radiation and the maxima that occur at specific wavelengths. The first problem is that for a blackbody there is a frequency peak and a wavelennght peak. The second problem is that the maximum value Mw(max) at the wavelength w(max) in the distribution of blackbody radiation increases with T (temperature). To find the maximum you will need to differentiate with respect to the temperature and find the value of T that makes the derivative = 0. Right but what equations do I work with? The source of your question is not clear. I recommend the original poster refer to a textbook or course for the correct version of Plancks radiation law.
Nebula
A couple Blackbody Problems?

I'm a little confused about these two problems involving blackbodies, hopefully someone could give me a bit of insight. Thanks in advance.

1. For a blackbody we there is a frequency peak and a wavelennght peak. Let's call em v and w respectively. Now consider the derivations of the maximums dependant on temperature to prove v*w not equal to the speed of light.

Im not sure what to do here. No were in my text do they talk about the derivations for the maximums. So I am not really sure in what direction to head.

next question.

2. The peak value Mw(max) at the wavelength w(max) in the distribution of blackbody radiation increases with T (temperature). Show Mw(max) depends on T as:
Mw(max)=CT^p
where C is some constant and power p
so we have to find the constant and the power.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Planck distribution depends on the temperature. To find the maximum you will need to differentiate with respect to the temperature and find the value of T that makes the derivative = 0.

Right but what equations do I work with?

Any ideas about 2?

Hey Tide
In that page they give placnk's law as

((8*pi*v^2)/c^3)*...

But look at the following page why do they give Planck's law with the term
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/PlanckLaw.html

(2v^2)/c^2

Why is the term ((8*pi*v^2)/c^3) different than the one giving in scienceworld??

P3X-018 said:
Hey Tide
In that page they give placnk's law as

((8*pi*v^2)/c^3)*...

But look at the following page why do they give Planck's law with the term
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/PlanckLaw.html

(2v^2)/c^2

Why is the term ((8*pi*v^2)/c^3) different than the one giving in scienceworld??

One might be a flux and the other an intensity - I didn't have time to study them carefully. I recommend the orginal poster refer to his textbook for the correct version!

P3x,

I think for the problem at hand you should be focusing on the functional dependence which is
[tex]\frac {\nu ^3}{e^{\frac {h \nu}{kT}}-1}[/tex]
to find the peak.

In the Physics Formulary, it says:
Planck's law for the energy distribution for the radiation of af black body is:

omega(v,T) = ((8pi*h*v^3)/c^3)*(exp(hv/kT)-1)^-1

"Energy distribution" is that the intensity or flux?
They define the flux as P/A
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/EnergyFlux.html

:S

Edited:

Yes, I agree with that. It's the same as what I wrote - I just left off the normalization!

Last edited:
So is this the flux:

omega(v,T) = ((8pi*h*v^3)/c^3)*(exp(hv/kT)-1)^-1 ?

That looks good!

Related to How Do You Solve These Blackbody Radiation Problems?

1. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming electromagnetic radiation (light) and emits it at all wavelengths. It is a theoretical concept used in physics and astronomy to study the behavior of light and heat.

2. What is the blackbody radiation curve?

The blackbody radiation curve is a graph that shows the amount of light emitted by a blackbody at different wavelengths. It follows a specific shape called the Planck curve, which depends on the temperature of the object.

3. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a fundamental law of physics that states the total energy emitted by a blackbody is directly proportional to the fourth power of its temperature. It is expressed as E=σT^4, where E is the energy, T is the temperature, and σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

4. What is Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law states that the peak wavelength of radiation emitted by a blackbody is inversely proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the peak wavelength shifts to shorter (higher energy) wavelengths.

5. How do blackbodies relate to real-world objects?

Although blackbodies are theoretical concepts, they can be used to approximate the behavior of real-world objects. For example, the sun is often approximated as a blackbody to study its radiation and temperature. Additionally, many materials, such as metals, can behave like blackbodies under certain conditions.