How Do You Derive the Doppler Effect for Moving Observers and Sources?

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the Doppler effect for a moving observer and a moving source. The general equation for this is f' = f*(v +/- vo)/(v +/- vs), where f' is the observed frequency and f is the frequency of the wave. The wavelength changes with a moving source, and the velocity of the sound changes with a moving observer. The individual is unsure of how to derive the formula but later figures it out.
tjaeger

Homework Statement

I have a problem that asks to derive the doppler effect for the two different cases of a moving observer and a moving source.

Homework Equations

I should get f' = f*(v +/- vo)/(v +/- vs) as my general equation, where f' is the observed frequency and f is the frequency of the wave.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wish I had more work to show, but I'm not really sure how to derive formulas. Where should I begin?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out. Wavelength changes with a moving source and velocity of the sound wrt the observer changes when the observer is moving.

As a scientist, it is important to understand the underlying principles and equations that govern a phenomenon. In this case, the Doppler effect is a result of the relative motion between a source of waves and an observer. To derive the Doppler effect, we need to consider the properties of waves and the relative motion between the source and observer.

First, let's define some variables:

- f: frequency of the wave emitted by the source
- f': frequency of the wave observed by the moving observer
- v: speed of the wave (in a vacuum)
- vo: speed of the observer
- vs: speed of the source

Next, we need to understand how the frequency of a wave is affected by relative motion. The frequency of a wave is defined as the number of complete cycles it makes in a given time. Therefore, if the source is moving towards the observer, the number of cycles per second (frequency) will increase, and if the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency will decrease.

Now, let's consider the case of a moving source. In this case, the source is emitting waves at a constant frequency f, but due to its motion, the distance between consecutive wave crests (wavelength) changes. This results in a change in the observed frequency f'. To calculate this change, we can use the formula for the speed of a wave, v = fλ, where λ is the wavelength. As the source moves, the wavelength changes according to the equation λ' = λ - vs*t, where vs is the speed of the source and t is time. Substituting this into the formula for the speed of the wave, we get v = f(λ - vs*t). Rearranging for f', we get f' = v/(λ - vs*t). Since we are interested in the frequency of the wave observed at a specific time, we can substitute t = d/vo, where d is the distance between the source and the observer and vo is the speed of the observer. This gives us the final formula for the observed frequency in the case of a moving source: f' = f*(v - vs)/(v - vo).

Similarly, we can derive the formula for a moving observer by considering the change in wavelength due to the observer's motion. In this case, the source is emitting waves at a constant frequency f, and the wavelength remains unchanged. However, due to the observer's motion,

Related to How Do You Derive the Doppler Effect for Moving Observers and Sources?

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a scientific principle that explains the perceived change in frequency of a wave when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer.

2. How is the Doppler Effect derived?

The Doppler Effect can be derived using the principles of wave physics and basic mathematical equations. It involves calculating the change in wavelength and frequency of the wave as the source moves towards or away from the observer.

3. What are the factors that affect the magnitude of the Doppler Effect?

The magnitude of the Doppler Effect is affected by the velocity of the source and the observer, as well as the speed of the wave. Other factors such as the angle between the source and observer, and the medium through which the wave is traveling can also play a role.

4. Can the Doppler Effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed in many everyday situations, such as the sound of a passing ambulance or the changing pitch of a car horn as it approaches and then passes by. It is also used in various technologies, such as radar and sonar, to measure the velocity of objects.

5. How is the Doppler Effect used in astronomy?

In astronomy, the Doppler Effect is used to measure the velocity and distance of celestial objects. By analyzing the shift in frequency of light emitted from stars and galaxies, scientists can determine whether they are moving towards or away from Earth, and at what speed.