How Do You Calculate the Rate of Heat Flow Outward Across a Star's Surface?

• Thread starter colinlovesmath
  • Start date
In summary, the temperature in a star with a conductivity of 1 is inversely proportional to the distance from the center, given by the equation u=7/(sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)). If the star is a sphere with a radius of 3, the rate of heat flow outward across the surface can be calculated using Gauss Law, with the distance of any point on the surface to the center being 3. The temperature at the center is infinite due to the inverse proportionality.
colinlovesmath
The temperature in a star of conductivity 1 is inversely proportional to the distance from the center: u=7/(sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2).
If the star is a sphere of radius 3, find the rate of heat flow outward across the surface of the star.

Not sure where to even start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Put the center at (0,0,0). The temp at the center is infinite (can you see why?)

What is the distance of any point on the surface to the center?

I understand that, the distance of any point on the surface to the center is 3 (the radius). But how do I use gauss Law or whatever?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Rate of Heat Flow Outward Across a Star's Surface?

1. What is the process for solving a Calculus/Physics problem?

The process for solving a Calculus/Physics problem involves breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and then applying the appropriate formulas and concepts to find a solution. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the given information and what is being asked, and then use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve the problem step by step.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a specific Calculus/Physics problem?

The formula to use for a specific Calculus/Physics problem will depend on the given information and what is being asked in the problem. It is important to have a strong understanding of the different formulas and concepts in Calculus and Physics, and to carefully analyze the problem to determine which formula is most appropriate to use. If you are unsure, it can be helpful to consult a textbook or ask a teacher or tutor for guidance.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Calculus/Physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Calculus/Physics problems include not carefully reading and understanding the problem, using incorrect formulas or concepts, making calculation errors, and not checking your work for accuracy. It is important to take your time and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes and ensure that you arrive at the correct solution.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Calculus/Physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Calculus/Physics, it is important to practice regularly and regularly review the concepts and formulas. It can also be helpful to work through problems with a study group or tutor, as they may offer different perspectives and strategies for solving problems. Additionally, actively engaging in class and asking questions when you are unsure can also help improve your understanding and problem-solving abilities.

5. What resources are available to help me with Calculus/Physics problems?

There are many resources available to help with Calculus/Physics problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and tutoring services. Your teacher or professor is also a valuable resource and can provide guidance and support as you work through problems. Additionally, practicing regularly and actively engaging in class can also help improve your problem-solving abilities.