How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia Tensor for a Plate?

In summary, the problem is to find the moment of inertia tensor of a plate, with the equation σ = area density. The main issue is solving for Ixx and Iyy, with two different approaches being discussed. The first approach leads to a wrong answer, 1/3Ma^2, while the second approach results in 1/3Ma^2. The professor is unsure about the translation of moment of inertia tensor components to rotations about different axes, but it is suggested that the tensor will be diagonal if the axes are axes of symmetry of the body. In any other case, the tensor is not useful unless it is for part of a composite body and the axis is a principal axis of the whole body. Additionally,
AriAstronomer

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia tensor of the plate attached below

Homework Equations

σ = area density

The Attempt at a Solution

So the main problem I'm having is solving for Ixx and Iyy:
1) Ixx = σ∫∫(y^2 + z^2)dydz, since there are no dz components, I don't see how you end up with 1/3Ma^2. But iIf you approach it like this:
2) Ixx = σ∫∫(y^2 + z^2)dA = (M/a^2)∫(y^2 + z^2)(ady) = 1/3Ma^2, you get the right answer (where after integration you fill in z=0), and it makes sense, but is there a way to get there from 1)?

Also, my prof seemed really confused about how the moment of inertia tensor components translate to rotations about different axes. I had a hunch that Ixx would translate to the rotation about the x-axis, Iyy about the y-axis, Izz about the z-axis, Ixy about some diagonal rotation in the xyplane, Ixz about some diagonal rotation in the xzplane, etc. Is there any truth to this? My prof said it doesn't translate that way, but didn't seem sure. I want some closure.

Thanks,
Ari

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ari! :smile:
AriAstronomer said:
So the main problem I'm having is solving for Ixx and Iyy:
1) Ixx = σ∫∫(y^2 + z^2)dydz, since there are no dz components, I don't see how you end up with 1/3Ma^2.
… is there a way to get there from 1)?

Yes, this is an "infinitely thin" plate (in the z-direction), so as the thickness zmax -> 0, σ∫z2dz -> 0 (if we're keeping M, and therefore σzmax, constant) :wink:
Also, my prof seemed really confused about how the moment of inertia tensor components translate to rotations about different axes. I had a hunch that Ixx would translate to the rotation about the x-axis, Iyy about the y-axis, Izz about the z-axis, Ixy about some diagonal rotation in the xyplane, Ixz about some diagonal rotation in the xzplane, etc. Is there any truth to this? My prof said it doesn't translate that way, but didn't seem sure. I want some closure.

So long as your z y z axes are axes of symmetry of the body ("principal axes"), the tensor will be diagonal, and the moment of inertia for each axis will give you the ratio between angular momentum and angular velocity for that axis.

For any other axes, the tensor isn't actually any use unless the tensor is for part of a composite body, and the axis is a principal axis of the whole body (but not that one part).

In no case does Ixy etc have any physical significance (other than as part of a calculation).

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia Tensor for a Plate?

1. What is the moment of inertia tensor?

The moment of inertia tensor is a mathematical representation of an object's resistance to changes in rotation. It takes into account the mass distribution of an object and its rotational motion around a given axis.

2. How is the moment of inertia tensor calculated?

The moment of inertia tensor is calculated by taking the integral of the mass distribution of an object with respect to its distance from the axis of rotation. This integral is calculated for each of the three dimensions (x, y, z) to create a 3x3 matrix.

3. What is the significance of the moment of inertia tensor?

The moment of inertia tensor is significant because it provides information about an object's rotation, stability, and response to external forces. It is a crucial parameter in the study of mechanics and dynamics.

4. How does the moment of inertia tensor differ from moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia tensor is a more comprehensive representation of an object's resistance to rotation compared to the moment of inertia, which only takes into account the object's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation.

5. Can the moment of inertia tensor vary for a single object?

Yes, the moment of inertia tensor can vary for a single object depending on its orientation and axis of rotation. For example, a sphere will have different moment of inertia tensor values when rotated around its diameter versus its equator.