How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Friction for a Slowing Truck?

In summary: If the truck stops in those 3 seconds, then its acceleration was 8.33 m/s^2, which is greater than the current 4.4 m/s^2. Therefore, the minimum coefficient of friction required to stop the truck would be 0.850, assuming everything else stays the same. So in summary, the acceleration of the truck during the 3.0s interval is -4.4 m/s^2, the minimum coefficient of friction required to keep the crate from sliding in the back of the truck is 0.449, and the minimum coefficient of friction required to stop the truck by the end of the 3.0s interval is 0.850.
BrownBoi7
A 4700 kg truck carrying a 900 kg crate is traveling at 25 m/s to the right along a straight, level road, as shown below.

Suppose the brakes are applied for 3.0s. During this 3.0s the truck travels 55 m.

1. Calculate the acceleration of the truck during the 3.0s interval. (Assume it is constant.)

2. Sketch a force diagram of the crate during the 3.0s interval described above.

3. Calculate the minimum coefficient of friction required to keep the crate from sliding in the back of the truck.

4. Calculate the minimum coefficient of friction required to stop the truck by the end of the 3.0s interval

My attempt:
1. Using X = Xo + Vot - 1/2at^2 a = -4.4 m/s^2
2. I got it.
3. F = ma ; F = uN
uN = ma ==> umg = ma ==> u = a/g = -4.4/9.8 = 0.449
4. This is where I need help. Since it was never mentioned that the truck came to a complete rest with -4.4 m/s^2 in 3 seconds. But now we do want it to stop in 3 secs. So I am guessing negative acceleration has to be greater.
a = (0-25 m/s)/3 sec = -8.33 m/s^2
u = a/g ==> -8.33/9.8 = 0.850
Somebody please review my answers. Did I go about them the right way?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.
The problem statement in (4) is a bit unclear - for example, truck and crate could have different coefficients of friction, or the crate could have the coefficient from (3) and the truck has to compensate for that, or whatever. Well, I think your interpretation is the way the question is meant.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Coefficient of Friction for a Slowing Truck?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when the object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when the object is at rest and about to be put into motion.

3. How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction is measured using a unit called Newton (N) and is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction by the normal force.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pushing the surfaces together.

5. How can I reduce kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, making the surfaces smoother, or reducing the applied force on the object.