How Do You Calculate Relative Speed in Special Relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocities of two spaceships, A and B, traveling in opposite directions. An observer on Earth measures the velocities of both ships, with A traveling at 0.75c and B traveling at 0.85c. The question is then posed about the speed of B relative to A. After considering Galileu's relativity and Einstein's special relativity, the correct solution is found to be -0.977c.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Two spaceships (A and B) are traveling in opposite ways. An observer in Earth measures both velocities.
The speed of ship A (Va) = 0.75c.
The speed of ship B (Vb) = 0.85c.
What's the speed of **** B regarding ship A?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried solving it using Galileu's relativity, but I've reached the result of 1.6c.
Then I remembered that when we're dealing with speeds close to c we have to use Einstein's special relativity, so I've looked around all the formulas I have but none of them involved velocity, only time, spaceship length, and there are also the ones involving energy but I don't think that has nothing to do with this exercise.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:

I've used u'= -.85c and v=.75c

Substituting I got u= -.85c-.75c / 1-(-.85*.75) = -.977c

Therefore the speed of ship B regarding ship A is -0.977c

Is that solution correct? I think I've done everything right but i'd like to be sure :D

Thanks!

Good. The relative speed is correct, which is all you need. (The sign depends on your convention.)

Dear student,

You are correct in realizing that for speeds close to the speed of light, we need to use Einstein's special relativity instead of Galileo's relativity. In this case, we can use the relativistic velocity addition formula, which is given by:

V = (Va + Vb) / (1 + (Va * Vb)/c^2)

Using this formula, we can calculate the speed of ship B relative to ship A to be:

V = (0.75c + 0.85c) / (1 + (0.75c * 0.85c)/c^2) = 1.36c

This means that according to the observer on ship A, ship B is traveling at a speed of 1.36 times the speed of light. This result may seem counterintuitive, but it is a consequence of the relativistic effects of time dilation and length contraction. Special relativity allows for speeds greater than the speed of light to be calculated, but it does not violate the fundamental principle that the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe.

I hope this helps clarify the solution to this problem. Good luck with your studies!

Related to How Do You Calculate Relative Speed in Special Relativity?

1. What is special relativity and why is it important?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein to explain the relationship between space and time. It is important because it has revolutionized our understanding of the laws of physics and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in areas such as nuclear energy and GPS technology.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends this to non-inertial frames, including those affected by gravity. General relativity also incorporates the concept of curved spacetime, whereas special relativity does not.

3. What is the twin paradox in special relativity?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that highlights the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves one twin traveling at high speeds near the speed of light while the other stays on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth due to time passing more slowly for objects in motion.

4. Can special relativity be proven?

Special relativity has been extensively tested and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. However, like all scientific theories, it cannot be proven definitively, but it is supported by overwhelming evidence.

5. How does special relativity impact our everyday lives?

Special relativity has practical applications in our everyday lives, such as in the development of GPS technology. It also helps us understand fundamental concepts like the speed of light and the relationship between space and time, which have profound implications for our understanding of the universe.