How Do You Calculate Electrical Parameters of a Heater in an RLC Circuit?

In summary: I found this equation: e = emaxsin(wt) But as in my LR circuit post, I don't know what to do about the time here.Well, I was referring to your equation. You have [tex]V_{\rm rms} = \frac{V_0}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]but when you did the calculation you switched the two voltage values. (If it helps, I've always thought of the equation as:[tex]V_{\rm rms} = \frac{V_{\rm max}}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
purduegirl

Homework Statement

The figure below shows the time variation of the current through an electrical heater when it is plugged into a 240 V, 50 Hz outlet.

1) What is the peak voltage?
2) What is the rms value of the current drawn by the heater?
3) What is the resistance of the heater?
4) If t1 = 0.06 s, what is the value of t2? Note: The graph does not start at t = 0 s.

Homework Equations

1) RMS voltage value = [tex]\frac{Vo}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] , the hint given for the problem is Use the relation between the peak voltage and the rms voltage.

2) RMS current value = [tex]\frac{Io}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

3) R = V/I

4) Couldn't find an equation in my book. HINT: Remember the relation between frequency and the time to complete a cycle. How many cycles are between t1 and t2?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 240 V/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] = 169.7 Volts
2)
3) R = 240 V/I
4) I know that there is 2 cycles betweem t1 and t2.

Attachments

• prob05a.gif
    prob05a.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 651
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi purduegirl,

purduegirl said:

Homework Statement

The figure below shows the time variation of the current through an electrical heater when it is plugged into a 240 V, 50 Hz outlet.

1) What is the peak voltage?
2) What is the rms value of the current drawn by the heater?
3) What is the resistance of the heater?
4) If t1 = 0.06 s, what is the value of t2? Note: The graph does not start at t = 0 s.

Homework Equations

1) RMS voltage value = [tex]\frac{Vo}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] , the hint given for the problem is Use the relation between the peak voltage and the rms voltage.

2) RMS current value = [tex]\frac{Io}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

3) R = V/I

4) Couldn't find an equation in my book. HINT: Remember the relation between frequency and the time to complete a cycle. How many cycles are between t1 and t2?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) 240 V/[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] = 169.7 Volts
2)
3) R = 240 V/I
4) I know that there is 2 cycles betweem t1 and t2.

I can't see the attachment right now, but comparing your equation for #1 and your work for #1, what numerical value does the rms voltage have? What does the variable [itex]V_0[/itex] stand for? If you think about why it is called peak voltage, you'll see why your answer can't be true.

I am completely confused about RMS values. My book doesn't have a clear explanation and our prof. didn't lecture over it. I have been trying to look up information about RMS.

I found this equation: e = emaxsin(wt) But as in my LR circuit post, I don't know what to do about the time here.

Well, I was referring to your equation. You have

[tex]
V_{\rm rms} = \frac{V_0}{\sqrt{2}}
[/itex]

but when you did the calculation you switched the two voltage values. (If it helps, I've always thought of the equation as:

[tex]
V_{\rm rms} = \frac{V_{\rm max}}{\sqrt{2}}
[/itex]

But here is one practical way of looking at why the rms value is important. For a normal US outlet, the voltage varies from about +170 V to -170 V; which means it's always going back and forth between those two values.

But when it comes to calculating the power used by whatever you plug in there, do you just use P = I V, with V=170 volts? The power companies would like that, since you pay for the amount of power used!

But the point is, the voltage only reaches 170V for an instant, so that's really overcalculating the power--most of the time you are not near 170V. What is needed is a sort of "averaged" voltage--and by averaged I mean that a constant voltage of [itex]V_{\rm rms}[/itex] connected to a resistor uses the same amount of power as a varying voltage of [itex]V_{\rm max}[/itex]. And that's why the average power formula for a pure resistor AC circuit is [itex]P=I_{\rm rms}V_{\rm rms}[/itex].

So for a normal outlet, the peak voltage is about 170V, and the rms voltage is about 120V. Then the power used by plugging in a 1ohm resistor to the outlet with a peak voltage of 170V, is the same power used by connecting the 1ohm resistor to a 120V battery.

Last edited:
Well, looking at this problem again, I am given the Vrms = 240 , the frequency = 50Hz, and I calculated w = 314.16 Hz.

For part one, I am supposed to use the picture (which is now available) I know that the Irms = Amplitude/1.41 , 1.41 being the sqrt root of 2.

purduegirl said:
Well, looking at this problem again, I am given the Vrms = 240 , the frequency = 50Hz, and I calculated w = 314.16 Hz.

Right, so you can calculate [itex]V_{\rm max}[/itex] now that you have identified [itex]V_{\rm rms}[/itex]. Did you get the right answe?

For part one, I am supposed to use the picture (which is now available) I know that the Irms = Amplitude/1.41 , 1.41 being the sqrt root of 2.

You mean part two, right? But that looks right. Just find the amplitude from the graph and you're done.

Okay, got those, but I'm having problems with the last problem. I looked at this again and can see only 1 cycle has occurred between t1 and t2. But, from there I don't know what to do.

purduegirl said:
Okay, got those, but I'm having problems with the last problem. I looked at this again and can see only 1 cycle has occurred between t1 and t2. But, from there I don't know what to do.

No, it's not 1 cycle. Think of cycles corresponding to wavelengths. How many wavelengths of the sine function are between t1 and t2?

There are two cyles.

purduegirl said:
There are two cyles.

No; picture what a sine curve looks like (since t1 starts at zero), and what one wavelength looks like (going from 0 to 360 degrees). How many wavelengths would fit from t1 to t2? It's not an integer.

after comparing it to a figure in my book, I believe there is 3/2 of a cycle.

purduegirl said:
after comparing it to a figure in my book, I believe there is 3/2 of a cycle.

That's right. So you know that there is 3/2 of a cycle between the times t1 and t2. So can you find the time of one cycle with what they've given you in the problem? (What is the term that means the time to complete one oscillation?)

Related to How Do You Calculate Electrical Parameters of a Heater in an RLC Circuit?

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor in series or parallel. These components are used to control the flow of electric current and are often used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. How does an RLC circuit work?

An RLC circuit works by using the properties of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor to regulate the flow of electric current. The resistor controls the amount of current flowing through the circuit, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. By combining these components, an RLC circuit can produce various frequencies of alternating current (AC) power.

3. What is the purpose of an AC power supply in an RLC circuit?

The purpose of an AC power supply in an RLC circuit is to provide a source of alternating current that can be used to power electronic devices. The AC power supply produces a sinusoidal waveform, which is essential for the proper functioning of the RLC circuit.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC power in an RLC circuit?

The main difference between AC and DC power in an RLC circuit is the direction of the current flow. AC power is an alternating current that periodically changes direction, while DC power is a direct current that flows in one direction. AC power is often used in RLC circuits because it can easily be converted to different voltages, whereas DC power is typically used for powering electronic devices.

5. How is power calculated in an RLC circuit?

Power in an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula P = IV, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. In an AC power supply, the voltage and current are constantly changing, so the average power can be calculated using the formula P = Vrms * Irms, where Vrms is the root mean square voltage and Irms is the root mean square current.