How Do You Calculate Capacitance for Split Capacitors in PhET Simulations?

In summary, you need to calculate the right and left side of the capacitance for a single capacitor circuit with an offset dielectric slab.
physocs1

Homework Statement

A= 400mm^2 d=7.5mm v=1.5 kappa= 4.0 offset=8.00mm [/B]
Click on the dielectric tab. Configure the single capacitor circuit by using the parameters given in the circuit diagram to the right. This capacitor with its offset dielectric slab is equivalent to two component capacitors arranged in parallel. Each of the component capacitors (right and left) is considered to be a capacitor for which the expression C = Aεoκ/d can be used to compute its contributing capacitance. For each of the components, you must use the dielectric constant of the material within its domain (either air or the material for which κ was set to the value 4.0). In table 2A on the results sheet you will need to determine the width and depth of each of the component capacitors’ effective plate areas. To do this, first find the common plate depth (remember that the full plate is a square, so the depth and full width should be the square root of the plate area). Then use the dielectric offset to find each of the component plate widths. Enter these quantities in table 2A. You do not need to show these calculations since they are fairly trivial. Then use the expression C = Aεoκ/d to compute the effective capacitance of each of the two capacitor components. Enter these quantities as CL and CR in table 2A, (rounded to 3 significant figures). Show your calculations in the spaces provided.

I'm not understanding what the lab instructions means by calculating the right side and left side of the capacitance. other than that I know how to do the lab.

Website: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/legacy/capacitor-lab

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
physocs1 said:

Homework Statement

A= 400mm^2 d=7.5mm v=1.5 kappa= 4.0 offset=8.00mm [/B]
Click on the dielectric tab. Configure the single capacitor circuit by using the parameters given in the circuit diagram to the right. This capacitor with its offset dielectric slab is equivalent to two component capacitors arranged in parallel. Each of the component capacitors (right and left) is considered to be a capacitor for which the expression C = Aεoκ/d can be used to compute its contributing capacitance. For each of the components, you must use the dielectric constant of the material within its domain (either air or the material for which κ was set to the value 4.0). In table 2A on the results sheet you will need to determine the width and depth of each of the component capacitors’ effective plate areas. To do this, first find the common plate depth (remember that the full plate is a square, so the depth and full width should be the square root of the plate area). Then use the dielectric offset to find each of the component plate widths. Enter these quantities in table 2A. You do not need to show these calculations since they are fairly trivial. Then use the expression C = Aεoκ/d to compute the effective capacitance of each of the two capacitor components. Enter these quantities as CL and CR in table 2A, (rounded to 3 significant figures). Show your calculations in the spaces provided.

I'm not understanding what the lab instructions means by calculating the right side and left side of the capacitance. other than that I know how to do the lab.

Website: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/legacy/capacitor-lab

Thank you

Can't open the simulation on my phone.

It sounds as though you have a cap that's partially filled with a dielectric. You're given an outline of how they want you to calculate the contribution of each part treated as two caps in parallel.

Draw the picture of the whole system, label the parts, and see if you can see how they would be broken up. Then draw a new circuit diagram.

I get the impression that the single capacitor can be replaced by a parallel combination of two capacitors, one on the left and one on the right. You need to calculate the two capacitances, the one on the left and the one on the right in the parallel combination.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand now. Thank-you all

Related to How Do You Calculate Capacitance for Split Capacitors in PhET Simulations?

1. What is Phet Simulation Circuits?

Phet Simulation Circuits is an interactive online tool that allows users to build and explore electrical circuits in a virtual environment. It was developed by the University of Colorado Boulder and is free to use.

2. How does Phet Simulation Circuits work?

Phet Simulation Circuits uses a drag-and-drop interface to allow users to add components such as batteries, resistors, and light bulbs to a circuit. Users can also click on different parts of the circuit to measure voltage and current.

3. What can I learn from using Phet Simulation Circuits?

Phet Simulation Circuits can help you understand the basic principles of electricity and circuits, such as Ohm's Law and series and parallel circuits. It also allows you to experiment with different circuit configurations and see the effects on voltage, current, and resistance.

4. Can I use Phet Simulation Circuits for educational purposes?

Yes, Phet Simulation Circuits is a popular tool for teaching and learning about circuits in schools and universities. It offers a fun and interactive way to engage students and reinforce key concepts.

5. Is Phet Simulation Circuits suitable for all ages?

Phet Simulation Circuits is designed to be accessible for all ages, from elementary school students to adults. It offers different levels of complexity and allows users to customize their circuits, making it suitable for learners of all levels.