How Do Sound Waves Interfere in Dual Speaker Setups?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interference of identical sound waves with a wavelength of 4.0 m emitted by two speakers that are 8.0 m apart and directed towards each other. The points at 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 meters are examined to determine if the interference is constructive, destructive, or somewhere in between. The formula Δr=|r2-r1| is used to calculate the interference at each point, with points a, c, and e being constructive and points b and d being destructive. The speakers should not emit identical waves and the resulting superposition can be better understood by sketching cosine waves and observing how the waves evolve over time.
chinnie15

Homework Statement

Two speakers are emitting identical sound waves with a wavelength of 4.0 m. The speakers are 8.0 m apart, directed toward each other. At each of the noted points (a-e) in the above diagram (at 2,3,4,5, and 6 meters, respectively), is the interference constructive, destructive, or somewhere in between?

Homework Equations

Δr=|r2-r1|

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so, mathematically, I understand this with no problem. I know that a, c, and e are constructive and that b and d are destructive, based off the formula.

For example, for a:
r1= 2m → .5λ and r2= 6m → 1.5λ
Δr= |1.5λ-.5λ|= 1λ. It's a whole wavelength, so it's constructive.

I get that. What I don't understand, is how exactly the waves appear on the picture. The image we're given has the line without the wave included (attached if interested). They are equally spaced and have the same exact wavelength, so wouldn't that mean that the waves perfectly overlap? I am having the hardest time imagining how these two waves will look. When I draw them both out, they are both literally identical (they go one right on top of the other). What am I failing to see? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am not so great at seeing these sort of things sometimes.

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• physics2.png
    physics2.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
They are equally spaced and have the same exact wavelength, so wouldn't that mean that the waves perfectly overlap? I am having the hardest time imagining how these two waves will look. When I draw them both out, they are both literally identical (they go one right on top of the other).
The waves should not be identical - they should have the same phase at their respective sources and travel in opposite directions.

It may help you see if you sketch cosine waves instead of sine waves.
It may also help if you repeat the sketch for several different times so you see how the resulting superposition evolves over time. What kind of wave should you have?

Look here and scroll down to Two sine waves traveling in opposite directions create a standing wave and see if that helps.

Ohhh, ok. I think I get it now (points a, c, and e are constantly flipping between constructive interference up top or at the bottom, while points b and d are never constructive). Thank you so much!

I can understand your confusion and it is completely normal to have difficulty visualizing wave interference. Let me try to explain it in a different way.

Think of each speaker as a source of waves. These waves travel towards each other and when they meet, they interfere with each other. At certain points, the crests and troughs of the two waves align, resulting in constructive interference, where the amplitude of the resulting wave is increased. This is what is happening at points a, c, and e in the diagram.

On the other hand, at points b and d, the crests of one wave align with the troughs of the other, resulting in destructive interference, where the amplitude of the resulting wave is decreased. This is why the lines are closer together at these points.

In between these points, the interference is somewhere in between constructive and destructive, resulting in a varying amplitude of the resulting wave.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of wave interference. It is important to remember that the waves are not actually overlapping or combining, they are simply passing through each other and the resulting wave is a combination of the two. Keep practicing and you will become better at visualizing wave interference.

Related to How Do Sound Waves Interfere in Dual Speaker Setups?

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and interact with each other. This can create a variety of patterns, including areas of increased or decreased amplitude, depending on the relative phase and amplitude of the waves.

2. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes are in phase, resulting in a larger combined amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes are out of phase, resulting in a smaller combined amplitude or cancellation of the waves.

3. How does the distance between waves affect interference patterns?

The distance between waves, also known as wavelength, can affect interference patterns by determining the relative phase of the waves. When the distance between waves is equal to a multiple of the wavelength, constructive interference occurs. When the distance is equal to a half-integer multiple of the wavelength, destructive interference occurs.

4. What is the principle of superposition in wave interference?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet, the resulting displacement at any point is equal to the sum of the individual displacements of the waves. This principle explains how wave interference creates new patterns and amplitudes.

5. How is wave interference used in practical applications?

Wave interference is used in various practical applications, such as noise-cancelling headphones and radio communication. By manipulating wave interference, unwanted noise can be cancelled out or desired signals can be strengthened. It is also an important concept in fields such as optics and acoustics, where interference patterns can be used to study the properties of waves.