How Do Phase Relationships Affect Voltage Waveforms in an LCR Circuit?

In summary: Hope that makes sense.In summary, a sinusoidal input is applied to the circuit below. The waveforms of Vr, Vc, and Vl are shown on a graph, with particular attention to the phases. Vc is proportional to the integral of the current, the inductor voltage is proportional to the time derivative of the current, and the waveforms are in phase with each other.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal input is applied to the circuit below. Sketch the waveforms of each of Vr (voltage of resistor), Vc (capacitor) and Vl (inductor) on the one graph with particular attension to the phases (the amplitudes are not important) Hint: Vc is proportional to the integral of the current; the inductor voltage is proportional to the time derivative of the current.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8987/untitledyp0.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Once again, I'm pretty much clueless. Would really appreciate it if somebody could point me in the general direction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Had a quick browse but I'm still unsure as to how to derive the graphs. Should I be sketching the graph from equations?

The way I think about it, wouldn't voltage be increasing at a steady rate as it flows through each of the R, L and C. But then of course I end up with a linear graph and not a wave. So totally lost...

Since the input voltage is sinusoidal one can say that it is of the form

[tex]V_{in} = V_o \sin(\omega t) [/tex]

We also know that the voltage over the resistor will be in phase with the current in the circuit (which is determined by whatever is going on/in the circuit). Also the current in the (series) circuit (and therefore all of the components in the circuit) are the same. Just draw a graph with some arbitrary amplitude for the voltage of the resistor.

Last edited:
So all of the components are in phase with the input signal, does that mean that the graph will be the same for the L, C and R? How exactly would I model https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/13/1389816-0.png ? Obviously I need to find Vo and omega, but how!? *pulling hair out*

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the question do not want you to quantify the relationships. You just need to show qualitatively how the various voltages are related in phase on a graph. (Sorry, I misled you. I changed my previous post. The voltage over the resistor will not be in phase with the input voltage. So do not try and relate them in your graph - see my previous post). Once you have drawn the voltage as a function of time for the resistor then you just need to fill in the other two voltages. The connecting factor is the current in the components are the same, but the voltages are shifted in phase. How to determine the relationship? When one differentiate the current (which will be in phase with the voltage over the resistor) you get the voltage for the inductor. You can thus construct the graph for the inductor from the resistor graph point by point (it will be related by the gradient of the resistor graph).

Last edited:

Related to How Do Phase Relationships Affect Voltage Waveforms in an LCR Circuit?

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a fundamental property of an electrical circuit that describes its ability to store electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in units of Henrys (H).

2. How does inductance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Inductance can cause a delay in the flow of current, which can lead to phase shifts and resonance in a circuit. It also opposes changes in current, leading to effects such as back EMF and self-induction.

3. What is LCR resonance?

LCR resonance is a phenomenon that occurs in an electrical circuit when the inductance (L), capacitance (C), and resistance (R) are balanced in such a way that the circuit naturally oscillates at a specific frequency, known as the resonant frequency.

4. How is resonance useful in practical applications?

Resonance can be harnessed in various practical applications, such as in radio and television receivers, where it allows for selective tuning of specific frequencies. It is also used in electronic filters, amplifiers, and sensors.

5. What factors can affect the resonant frequency of an LCR circuit?

The resonant frequency of an LCR circuit can be affected by the values of inductance, capacitance, and resistance, as well as the physical properties of the components, such as their size and material. External factors, such as temperature and electromagnetic interference, can also influence the resonant frequency.