How do I solve absolute value inequalities involving polynomials?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving polynomial inequalities using the property of absolute value inequality. The participant questions if their steps are correct and asks for guidance on removing the absolute value. The solution involves checking each interval for solutions and disregarding the sign of the absolute value.
moondaaay
2015-10-10 07.18.11.png

Homework Equations

Solving Polynomial Inequalities

The Attempt at a Solution

2015-10-10 07.18.11.png

Then I used the property of absolute value inequality to get rid of it.

But I really don't know if I'm doing the right step. Is this correct? So that I could separate them in two cases and find the solution set.
2015-10-10 07.39.00.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide it into two alternative cases.
(1) It's equal to zero. This is the easiest one. What can we say about x in that case?
(2) It's less than zero. What does that imply about the signs of the numerator and the denominator. Is there any part of either that we can ignore?

moondaaay said:
1. View attachment 89960

Homework Equations

Solving Polynomial Inequalities

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 89960
Then I used the property of absolute value inequality to get rid of it.

But I really don't know if I'm doing the right step. Is this correct? So that I could separate them in two cases and find the solution set.
View attachment 89962
Hello moondaaay. Welcome to PF !

Where is the function on the left side of the inequality zero?

What is its domain?

upload_2015-10-9_22-8-54.png

The inequality has four critical values for x, splitting the real number line into five intervals. Each interval can be checked to find which are solutions to the inequality and which are not solutions.

symbolipoint said:
The inequality has four critical values for x, splitting the real number line into five intervals. Each interval can be checked to find which are solutions to the inequality and which are not solutions.
But what should I do first to remove the absolute value?

moondaaay said:
But what should I do first to remove the absolute value?
Not really important here. Whatever sign the 3x+7, its absolute value will still be POSITIVE OR ZERO.

Related to How do I solve absolute value inequalities involving polynomials?

What is an absolute value inequality?

An absolute value inequality is an inequality in which the absolute value of a variable is involved. It is represented by the symbol |x| and the variable x can be greater than, less than, or equal to a given value.

How do you solve an absolute value inequality?

To solve an absolute value inequality, you need to isolate the absolute value expression and create two separate inequalities, one with a positive sign and one with a negative sign. Then, solve each inequality separately and combine the solutions to get the final answer.

What is the difference between an absolute value equation and an absolute value inequality?

An absolute value equation has an equal sign, while an absolute value inequality has an inequality sign. In an absolute value equation, the solution is a specific value, while in an absolute value inequality, the solution is a range of values.

What is the graphical representation of an absolute value inequality?

The graphical representation of an absolute value inequality is a V-shaped graph on a coordinate plane. The vertex of the V represents the point where the absolute value expression equals zero, and the direction of the V depends on the inequality sign.

How are absolute value inequalities used in real life?

Absolute value inequalities are used in various fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model real-life situations that involve a range of possible values, such as stock prices, temperature fluctuations, and tolerance levels in manufacturing. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a quantity.