How do I prove the existence of this norm?

In summary, the article discusses the existence of an integer q=pr and a non-Archimedean norm |.| on a fixed local field k, where p is a prime element of k and r is a positive integer. This norm satisfies the properties |x|≥0 for all x∈k and |x|=qm for each x∈k\{0}, where m is an integer. The article also mentions that the norm satisfies the non-Archimedean property |x+y|≤max{|x|,|y|} for all x,y∈k and |x+y|=max{|x|,|y|} when |x|≠|y|. The author's question is
zarei175
I am reading an article[1] that states:

Let k be a fixed local field. Then there is an integer q=pr, where p is a fixed prime element of k and r is a positive integer, and a norm |.| on k such that for all x∈k we have |x|≥0 and for each x∈k\{0} we get |x|=qm for some integer m. This norm is non-Archimedean, that is |x+y|≤max{|x|,|y|} for all x,y∈k and |x+y|=max{|x|,|y|} whenever |x|≠|y|.

how do i prove the existence of this norm?

and

how to prove that the norm is non-Archimedean?

[1]: http://docdro.id/11a73

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend say the first 8-10 pages of these notes of Pete Clark:

http://math.uga.edu/~pete/8410FULL.pdf

Likes zarei175
Thank you mathwonk.. I read these pages, but my question is different.

Related to How do I prove the existence of this norm?

1. How can you prove the existence of a norm?

To prove the existence of a norm, one must provide evidence of its presence and acceptance within a society or group. This can be done through observation of social behaviors and customs, analysis of cultural values and beliefs, and examination of legal systems and regulations.

2. What is the significance of proving the existence of a norm?

Proving the existence of a norm helps to understand the social structure and dynamics of a group or society. It also provides insight into the shared values and expectations of individuals within that group, and can be used to identify patterns of behavior and potential sources of conflict.

3. How do you differentiate between a norm and a personal preference?

A norm is a widely accepted and enforced behavior or belief within a group or society, while a personal preference is a subjective choice or opinion of an individual. Norms are typically enforced through social pressure or consequences, while personal preferences are not.

4. Can norms change over time?

Yes, norms can change over time as societal values and beliefs evolve. This can happen through generational shifts, cultural influences, and changes in legal systems and regulations. Norms can also be challenged and changed through social movements and activism.

5. Is it possible for a norm to exist in one culture but not in another?

Yes, norms can vary between cultures and may not be universally applicable. What is considered a norm in one culture may not be accepted or practiced in another culture. It is important to consider cultural context when studying and proving the existence of norms.