How do I graph a horizontal compression with trig functions?

Remember, the graph still crosses the x-axis at 0, pi, and 2pi, but now it also crosses at 4pi, 5pi, and 6pi. In summary, when graphing a function of the form sin(bx), the period is 2pi/b and the x-intercepts are at x = 0, pi, 2pi, etc. The graph is also compressed horizontally by a factor of b compared to the graph of sin(x).
CrossFit415

Homework Statement

Y = - sin (2X)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So.. I know how to graph - sin, that's going to be one 1 but reversed. Now my problem is the (2x). How do I graph 2x in the trig graph? How would I go about making a horizontal compression? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CrossFit415! :smile:

Find all the points where sin2x = 0 …

that's where the graph has to cross the x-axis. :wink:

Thanks Tim

CrossFit415 said:

Homework Statement

Y = - sin (2X)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So.. I know how to graph - sin, that's going to be one 1 but reversed. Now my problem is the (2x). How do I graph 2x in the trig graph? How would I go about making a horizontal compression? Thank you

Tim has given you one method. Another is to just draw a sine curve on an unlabeled axis. Using the fact that the period of sin(bx) is 2pi/b you know the period of your function is pi. So mark x = pi at the end of the first period and label everything else accordingly.

LCKurtz said:
Tim has given you one method. Another is to just draw a sine curve on an unlabeled axis. Using the fact that the period of sin(bx) is 2pi/b you know the period of your function is pi. So mark x = pi at the end of the first period and label everything else accordingly.

Ok, so if I wanted to graph sin (1/2)x I would solve for 2 pi / (1/2) = 4pi. So how would I draw my graph compared to sin x?

CrossFit415 said:
Ok, so if I wanted to graph sin (1/2)x I would solve for 2 pi / (1/2) = 4pi. So how would I draw my graph compared to sin x?

sin(x) has a period of [itex]2\pi[/itex] (that is, it repeats itself every [itex]2\pi[/itex]) and since sin(x/2) has a period of [itex]4\pi[/itex] it would look...?

CrossFit415 said:

So label the end of the first period 4pi and everything else accordingly.

Related to How do I graph a horizontal compression with trig functions?

1. What are the different types of trigonometric functions that can be graphed?

There are six basic trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions are related to the sides and angles of right triangles.

2. How do you graph trigonometric functions?

To graph a trigonometric function, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane using the values of the function for different angles. You can also use a calculator or computer program to generate a graph.

3. What is the period of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function is the length of one complete cycle of the function. For example, the period of the sine function is 360 degrees or 2π radians. This means that the sine function will repeat itself every 360 degrees or 2π radians.

4. How do you find the amplitude of a trigonometric function?

The amplitude of a trigonometric function is the maximum distance that the function reaches from its midline. It can be found by taking half the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the function.

5. What is the relationship between the graph of a trigonometric function and the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. The coordinates of points on the unit circle can be used to evaluate trigonometric functions. In fact, the sine and cosine functions can be defined as the y-coordinate and x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle, respectively.