How do I find the integral of t^{x-1} e^{-t} from 0 to 1?

In summary, Andrews writes that:\int_{0}^{1} t^{x-1} e^{-t} dt = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(x+n)n!}$\chi$ $\sigma$ and theta functions.
Alone
I am reading the red book on special functions of Andrews, and he writes there that:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} t^{x-1} e^{-t} dt =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(x+n)n!}[/tex]

And I don't see how to arrive at this identity, I guess he expands t in the integrand but my memory is rusty as to this series expansion.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: estimate of an integral.

Here is a hint, use the maclurain representation of \(\displaystyle e^{-t}\) ...

Alan said:
I am reading the red book on special functions of Andrews, and he writes there that:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} t^{x-1} e^{-t} dt =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(x+n)n!}[/tex]

And I don't see how to arrive at this identity, I guess he expands t in the integrand but my memory is rusty as to this series expansion.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I was ninja'd by ZaidAlyafey, so I'll put the work in spoilers instead of deleting it all... xD

The gist of the argument is this -- you express $e^{-t}$ as a Taylor series: $\displaystyle e^{-t}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nt^n}{n!}$

So it now follows that
\[\int_0^1t^{x-1}e^{-t}\,dt =\int_0^{\infty}t^{x-1} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n t^n}{n!}\,dt = \int_0^1\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n\frac{t^{x+n-1}}{n!} \,dt\]
We now integrate termwise to get
\[\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^n \left(\int_0^1 \frac{t^{x+n-1}}{n!} \,dt\right)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n\left[\frac{t^{x+n}}{(x+n) \cdot n!}\right]_0^1 =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(x+n)\cdot n!}\]
which is what was to be shown.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks, what an idiot I am not to see this straight away... I am getting old. :-)

Alan said:
I am reading the red book on special functions of Andrews

Really , interesting , may I ask what is the purpose ?

Alan said:

Thanks in advance.

You have...

$\displaystyle t^{x-1} e^{-t} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!}\ t^{x-1+n}$ (1)

... so that is...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} t^{x-1} e^{-t} dt = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!}\ \int_{0}^{1} t^{x-1+n}\ dt = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{(x+n)\ n!}$ (2)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to How do I find the integral of t^{x-1} e^{-t} from 0 to 1?

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral of t^{x-1} e^{-t} from 0 to 1?

The integral of t^{x-1} e^{-t} from 0 to 1 is used to calculate the area under the curve of the function t^{x-1} e^{-t} within the limits of 0 and 1. This can be useful in solving problems related to physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How do I solve the integral of t^{x-1} e^{-t} from 0 to 1?

To solve this integral, you can use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. First, you need to rewrite the function to make it easier to integrate. Then, apply the chosen integration technique and evaluate the integral within the given limits of 0 and 1.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the integral of t^{x-1} e^{-t} from 0 to 1?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this integral. Most scientific calculators have built-in functions to solve integrals. However, it is important to double-check the answer and make sure it is correct.

4. What is the result of the integral of t^{x-1} e^{-t} from 0 to 1?

The result of this integral will depend on the value of x. It will result in a function of x, which can be evaluated for specific values of x. If x is a positive integer, the result will be a polynomial function. If x is a negative integer, the result will involve natural logarithms.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding the integral of t^{x-1} e^{-t} from 0 to 1?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding this integral. For example, it can be used to calculate the decay rate of radioactive substances, the velocity of objects undergoing drag force, and the probability of events occurring in a given time interval. It is also used in various engineering and physics calculations.