How do I determine what wire gauge to use?

In summary, to determine the right gauge wire to use for a motor with 24VDC and a maximum draw of 50A, one can search for tables of current handling capacity for various cable gauges online. However, other factors such as insulation and proximity to other cables should also be considered. It may be simpler and safer to purchase cable that is rated for the desired current, even if it is more expensive. A 50A cable with a 10mmsq gauge is recommended for this specific motor.
opmal7
I have a motor that I am using, and I need to know what gauge wire to use to connect to the motor. I've looked all over online, but haven't found anything that can tell me a formula or anything to use to figure this out.

The motor is 24VDC and draws 50A max, and would be running about 15 mins per hour of product use. The cable length is approx 10 ft. Is there any more information required to determine what gauge wire I should use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are tables of current handling capacity for a whole range of cable gauges, available. A google search for "Wire Gauge current rating" will yield a load of possible links.
The insulation and proximity to similar cables will have as much relevance as the simple current rating of the wire, though. For instance, drums of extension cable need to be protected from overheating when operated with most of the cable actually on the drum.
It is simpler to buy cable which is rated (on the pack) for the current that you want to use (erring on the large size if there is any doubt). That will enable you feel confident that it will not overheat. Forget about the duty cycle unless there is a serious reason for 'pushing your luck' and cutting down on cost. Just select 50A cable from a catalogue (which I expect will be 10mmsq) and then you won't need to worry. It will be annoyingly expensive but 50A is quite a heavy load (typical Electric Shower Power cable)

Related to How do I determine what wire gauge to use?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a wire gauge?

The factors that should be considered when choosing a wire gauge include the amount of current that will be flowing through the wire, the length of the wire, the type of wire insulation, and the voltage drop that is acceptable for the specific application.

2. How do I determine the amount of current that will be flowing through the wire?

To determine the amount of current, you will need to know the power of the circuit and the voltage. You can then use Ohm's Law (I = P/V) to calculate the current. It is also important to consider any potential future changes in the circuit that may require a higher current capacity.

3. What is the relationship between wire length and wire gauge?

The longer the wire, the higher the resistance and therefore, the thicker the wire gauge needs to be. This is because longer wires have more resistance, which can lead to voltage drop and potentially affect the performance of the circuit.

4. Can I use a wire gauge that is larger than what is recommended?

It is generally not recommended to use a wire gauge that is larger than what is recommended for a particular circuit. This is because using a larger wire gauge can result in higher costs and it may not fit into the designated space. It is best to choose the appropriate wire gauge for the specific application.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help determine the appropriate wire gauge?

Yes, there are several online calculators and charts available that can help determine the appropriate wire gauge for a specific application. These tools take into account factors such as current, wire length, and voltage drop to provide a recommended wire gauge. It is always best to double-check these recommendations with a professional or reference a wire gauge chart to ensure accuracy.