How do I determine the wavenumber of a Rossby wave with longitudinal width?

• Thread starter kirovman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the wave number varies due to meteorological causes. To find the wave number, you need to determine the value of beta and solve for k.
kirovman
Hi, I was wondering how to find the wavenumber of a Rossby wave?

The information I have so far is speed of the wave is [tex]c = &\overline{u} - \frac{\beta}{k^2 + l^2}} [/tex]

where l and k are longitudinal/latitudinal wavenumbers, beta is df/dy and u is basic westward flow. I have determined the value of beta already.

What I want to know is, how can I determine the Rossby wavenumbers if I have a wave with longitudinal width. I believe I can discard one of the wavenumbers since the wave only propagates longitudinally.
But I am stuck trying to determine it. I think it is something like [tex] k = \frac{n \pi}{L}[/tex] but it does not give me exactly the right answer. - it is about 2 - 5 times bigger than required for various questions.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
kirovman said:
Hi, I was wondering how to find the wavenumber of a Rossby wave?

The information I have so far is speed of the wave is [tex]c = &\overline{u} - \frac{\beta}{k^2 + l^2}} [/tex]

where l and k are longitudinal/latitudinal wavenumbers, beta is df/dy and u is basic westward flow. I have determined the value of beta already.

What I want to know is, how can I determine the Rossby wavenumbers if I have a wave with longitudinal width. I believe I can discard one of the wavenumbers since the wave only propagates longitudinally.
But I am stuck trying to determine it. I think it is something like [tex] k = \frac{n \pi}{L}[/tex] but it does not give me exactly the right answer. - it is about 2 - 5 times bigger than required for various questions.

As I understand it, the wave number varies due to meteorological causes. As your second formula states, there has always to be an integral number of waves circling the earth, but that number can change, and when it does, the velocity changes. Normally the waves advance, but for some wave numbers they can halt or even reverse.

So for a wave at latitude 45 degrees, with 5 maxima around a circle of longitude, and latitudinal width 5000km, superimposed on u= 5 m/s, I have tried to determine the speed of the wave relative to the ground.

I used n= 5 (for 5 maxima), and L = 5000km. My value for beta is 1.6 x 10^-11.
This give me value for k = pi x 10^-6 and I set the other wavenumber (l) to zero.

This gives me 3.37 m/s, but apparently I am supposed to get -0.75 m/s.
Any advice? This is one of the few points driving me crazy before my next exam. Thanks.

Related to How do I determine the wavenumber of a Rossby wave with longitudinal width?

1. What are Rossby waves?

Rossby waves are large-scale, meandering movements in the Earth's atmosphere and oceans. They are caused by the rotation of the Earth and the difference in temperature between the equator and the poles.

2. How do Rossby waves affect weather patterns?

Rossby waves can impact the movement and strength of weather systems, such as hurricanes and cyclones. They can also cause extreme weather events, such as heat waves and cold snaps.

3. What is the problem with Rossby waves?

The main problem with Rossby waves is that they have become more amplified and persistent in recent years due to climate change. This can lead to more frequent and severe weather events, as well as disruptions to agriculture and other industries.

4. How do scientists study and monitor Rossby waves?

Scientists use various methods to study and monitor Rossby waves, including satellite imagery, weather balloons, and computer models. They also collect data on temperature and wind patterns to track changes in the behavior of Rossby waves.

5. Can anything be done to mitigate the negative effects of Rossby waves?

While the underlying cause of the amplified Rossby waves is climate change, there are steps that can be taken to adapt to their effects. This includes implementing more resilient infrastructure and disaster preparedness plans, as well as reducing carbon emissions to mitigate further impacts.