How do I correctly manipulate tensor components in different coordinate systems?

In summary: Tαβγ in terms of Tαβγ without taking into account the vector, I use the metric tensor. gαμ(Tμβγ) would then equal gγμ(Tαβμ) = Tαβγ. Is that right?Yes, that is correct.
sweetdreams12

Homework Statement

A tensor and vector have components Tαβγ, and vα respectively in a coordinate system xμ. There is another coordinate system x'μ. Show that Tαβγvβ = Tαβγvβ

Homework Equations

umm not sure...

αvβ = ∂vβ/∂xα - Γγαβvγ

The Attempt at a Solution

Tαβγvβ = (∂xα/∂xi*∂xj/∂xβ*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijk)(∂xβ/∂xa*va)

Tαβγvβ = (∂xα/∂xi*∂xβ/∂xj*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijk)(∂xa/∂xβ*va)

and the two are not equal which they should be. I really don't know where I've went wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you relate Tijk with Tijk and va with va?

Orodruin said:
How do you relate Tijk with Tijk and va with va?

A previous part asked to express Tαβγ in terms of Tαβγ and I put my answer as ∂xα/∂xi*∂xβ/∂xj*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijj or by using the metric tensor

however does that also apply to vectors? if not, I don't know how vα relates to vα...

edit: wait is vα related to vα by vα = ∂xβ/∂xα*v'β?

Last edited:
You are confusing the concepts of how a vector transforms under coordinate transformations to how a contravariant tensor relates to a covariant one. A contravariant index can be turned into a covariant one by contraction with the metric. Covariant and contravariant indices transform differently under coordinate transformations.

A vector is a tensor of rank one and its indices therefore follow precisely the same rules as any tensor indices - what distinguishes a vector is that it only has one.

Orodruin said:
You are confusing the concepts of how a vector transforms under coordinate transformations to how a contravariant tensor relates to a covariant one. A contravariant index can be turned into a covariant one by contraction with the metric. Covariant and contravariant indices transform differently under coordinate transformations.

A vector is a tensor of rank one and its indices therefore follow precisely the same rules as any tensor indices - what distinguishes a vector is that it only has one.

Okay so if I take it one step at a time: expressing Tαβγ in terms of Tαβγ without taking into account the vector, I use the metric tensor. gαμ(Tμβγ) would then equal gγμ(Tαβμ) = Tαβγ. Is that right?

In order to raise a covariant index, you need to contract it with one of the contravariant indices in gij. In the same way, in order to lower a contravariant index, you need to contract it with one of the indices in gij. Remember that you cannot contract covariant indices with each other but must always contract a covariant index with a contravariant one and vice versa.

Related to How do I correctly manipulate tensor components in different coordinate systems?

1. What is a tensor coordinate system?

A tensor coordinate system is a mathematical framework used to describe the geometric properties of objects in space. It is composed of a set of coordinate axes and a set of transformation rules that determine how these axes change with respect to each other.

2. What is the difference between a tensor and a vector?

A vector is a one-dimensional object that represents a magnitude and direction, while a tensor is a multi-dimensional object that represents a set of values at each point in space. Vectors can be thought of as special cases of tensors.

3. How is a tensor coordinate system used in physics?

In physics, a tensor coordinate system is used to describe the physical properties of objects, such as velocity, acceleration, and forces. It is also used in the field of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

4. What are the different types of tensors?

There are several types of tensors, including scalar, vector, and matrix tensors. Scalar tensors have a magnitude but no direction, vector tensors have both a magnitude and direction, and matrix tensors have multiple dimensions and represent multiple sets of values.

5. How do I convert between different tensor coordinate systems?

To convert between different tensor coordinate systems, you can use transformation rules that involve multiplying by a transformation matrix. These rules may vary depending on the number of dimensions and the type of tensor being converted.