How Do Dot Product and Cross Product Differ in Vector Multiplication?

In summary, the correct answer for the first question is a) A . B = 0 and A × B ≠ 0, and the correct answer for the second question is c) 10 cm^2 in the +z direction. The dot product gives a scalar while the cross product gives a pseudovector. The axis x and y make a plane, while adding a z axis allows for working with volumes. The axis can also be labelled by the unit vectors i,j,k.
Physics697
Actually I have two questions

Homework Statement

Vectors A and B are shown on the figure below. Which one of the
following statements is correct?
a) A . B = 0 and A × B ≠ 0
b) A . B ≠ 0 and A × B = 0
c) A . B ≠ 0 and A × B ≠ 0
d) A . B = 0 and A × B = 0
Picture: http://i.imgur.com/X0GB9.png

Homework Equations

A.B = AxBx + AyBy

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, the answer is zero. but the problem is the difference between A . B and A x B. I have long thought that those two are the same, but this question confused me.
I tried google for a bit and found out that [ dot product (u . v) gives a scalar ] and [ cross product (u x v) gives a pseudovector ]. It's my first time hearing about a pseudovector =_=

My second question is also about Vectors Multiplication

Homework Statement

A and B are the two vectors shown in the figure. Vector A is along the positive x
axis and has a magnitude of 5 cm, and the vector B is in the x-y plane at an angle 30º
with the positive x-axis and has a magnitude of 4 cm. A × B =

a) 20 cm2 in the +x direction b) 10 cm2 in the +y direction
c) 10 cm2 in the +z direction d) 20 cm2 in the -y direction

Homework Equations

A.B = AxBx + AyBy

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried to solve it I got C= 17.5 + 0, so the answer might be a.

This cm^2 and the +z confused me, so I just wanted to confirm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a re-fresher on dot and cross product.
http://ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/107/vectors/dotcros.htm

Obviously, the answer is zero.

For 2 vectors A and B orthoganol ( at right angles) then the dot product A . B = 0, (ie there is no component of A is the same direction as B ( or visa-versa ) sometimes called the projection of A on B.

But, the other part of the answer is A x B = 0 or A x B ≠ 0.

What is your relevant equation for A x B??

This cm^2 and the +z confused

Well, you are multiplying a value in A with dimensions cm by one in B of dimension cm, so that would be cm^2.

Axis x and y make a plane,
Add another axis called z and you can work with volumes.
The axis can also be labelled by the unit vectors i,j,k, which you might not have seen yet.

256bits said:
Here is a re-fresher on dot and cross product.
http://ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/107/vectors/dotcros.htm

For 2 vectors A and B orthoganol ( at right angles) then the dot product A . B = 0, (ie there is no component of A is the same direction as B ( or visa-versa ) sometimes called the projection of A on B.

But, the other part of the answer is A x B = 0 or A x B ≠ 0.

What is your relevant equation for A x B??

Well, you are multiplying a value in A with dimensions cm by one in B of dimension cm, so that would be cm^2.

Axis x and y make a plane,
Add another axis called z and you can work with volumes.
The axis can also be labelled by the unit vectors i,j,k, which you might not have seen yet.

Thank you for you reply,
Yeah, I understood the first one thanks to the website you posted.

first question answer: a) A . B = 0 and A × B ≠ 0
and the answer for the second one is ' C= 17.5 + 0 '

Thanks (*

Related to How Do Dot Product and Cross Product Differ in Vector Multiplication?

What is vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to produce a new vector. There are two types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product.

What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product of two vectors results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product measures the similarity between two vectors, while the cross product measures the perpendicularity.

How do you calculate the dot product of two vectors?

To calculate the dot product, you multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add the results. For example, if vector A = [2, 4, 6] and vector B = [3, 1, 5], the dot product would be 2*3 + 4*1 + 6*5 = 42.

What is the purpose of vector multiplication in physics?

Vector multiplication is used in physics to calculate physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. The dot product, for example, is used to calculate work and the cross product is used to calculate torque.

Can vector multiplication be applied to vectors in different dimensions?

Yes, vector multiplication can be applied to vectors in any number of dimensions. However, the number of components in each vector must be equal for the operation to be valid.