How do different types of elements affect the BTU output of a 24V DC heater?

In summary, the speaker had a 24V DC tractor cab heater that stopped working after being hooked up for the winter season. They checked the company website and found a new improved model that claims to output almost 3 times the heat in BTU's. The old model was rated at 24V/35amp with a 3000 BTU output, while the new model is rated at 24V/45amp with an 18,000 BTU output. However, the speaker questions the reliability of this claim. They also mention using a PTO driven 70amp alternator and two lawn and garden batteries in series, but they are unsure about the battery size. The responder confirms that the old model is properly rated and
locknut
I had a 24V DC tractor cab heater that decided to let the magic smoke out shortly after hooking it up for this winter season.So,I checked the company website-DC Thermal-and they have the new improved models which claim to output almost 3 times the heat in BTU's.These are quartz type heaters.My old one was 24V/35amp and output was listed at around 3000 BTU.The new model uses a different type element and the rating is 24V/45amp with claimed 18,000 BTU output.In my small mind this seems questionable.The 18K rating is the same as my gas wall heater that will almost heat my entire house.

Another question is battery size for this installation.I use a PTO driven 70amp 1-wire Delco alternator that's hooked to two lawn and garden batteries in series.Don't know what the amp/hour rating is,but the cranking amps are around 360 ea.Does battery size matter in this install if the alt is always running before the heater is turned on?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your instncts are right: there are 3.413 btu in a watt, so the old one is properly rated and the new one can only put out about 3,700 btu.

I also wouldn't worry about the battery size if the alternator is always on.

Thanks for the reply,Russ.I'll tap your expertize a little further on this,if you don't mind.Dare I extrapolate that system voltage being 27.5V @45 amps which equates to 1237.5 watts,will the heat output raise to 4223 BTU's?

Related to How do different types of elements affect the BTU output of a 24V DC heater?

What is a DC heater BTU output?

A DC heater BTU output refers to the amount of heat energy produced by a DC heater in British Thermal Units (BTUs) per hour. It is a measure of the heating capacity of the heater.

How is the BTU output of a DC heater calculated?

The BTU output of a DC heater is calculated by multiplying the voltage, amperage, and efficiency of the heater. The formula is: BTUs per hour = voltage x amperage x efficiency.

What factors affect the BTU output of a DC heater?

The BTU output of a DC heater can be affected by the heater's voltage, amperage, and efficiency, as well as the ambient temperature and air flow in the room. The type of heating element and the size of the heater can also play a role.

What is the ideal BTU output for a DC heater?

The ideal BTU output for a DC heater depends on the size of the room or space that needs to be heated. A general rule of thumb is to have 20 BTUs per square foot of space. However, other factors such as insulation and climate can also affect the ideal BTU output.

Can the BTU output be adjusted on a DC heater?

Yes, the BTU output of a DC heater can be adjusted by changing the voltage or amperage of the heater, or by using a thermostat to control the amount of heat being produced. Some DC heaters also come with multiple heat settings to adjust the BTU output as needed.

Back