How Can You Solve This Complex Integral Equation Involving \(\phi(t)\)?

• Thread starter Limhes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a real-world problem that involves a function and an integral equation. The participants suggest using a rule for parametric differentiation with varying limits and mention the calculus of variations as a potential approach. They also discuss the need for the function to be non-constant and the impact of this on the solution.
Limhes
Hi all,

Currently I am puzzling on a real-world problem, involving some maths which I cannot solve using my limited calculus knowledge. The problem ultimately boils down to finding an expression for the function [itex]\phi(t)[/itex] which satisfies the following equation for any x within limits [itex]0 < x < 1 - x_s[/itex]:

[itex]1 - x - x_{s} = \int_{x_s/\phi_{max}}^{1/\phi_{2} - 1/\phi_{1}\cdot x} \phi(t) dt[/itex]

Constants: [itex]x_{s}, \phi_{1}, \phi_{2}, \phi_{max}[/itex] with [itex]0 < x_s < 1[/itex] and [itex]0 < \phi_{1} < \phi_{2} < \phi_{max}[/itex].

Has anybody got a clue on how to do this? An general approach would be much appreciated! Just gessing functions and trying them out somehow doesn't feel very intelligent...

.edit: I'll put you as co-author ;)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be something missing from your expression. There is no x in the integral expression on the right, so it won't depend on x, while the left side does.

mathman said:
There seems to be something missing from your expression. There is no x in the integral expression on the right, so it won't depend on x, while the left side does.

Aah, I put it wrongly. Should be correct now!

Suppose that a function Phi exists as a solution of the integral equation.
Then differentiate (relatively to x) the left and rigth terms of the equation. You obtain :
-1 = (-1/phi1)*Phi(t) where t=(1/phi2)-(x/phi1)
The left term is constant while the rigth term depends on x. This is impossible exept if the function Phi(t) is constant.
As we suppose Phi(t) is not constant, there is no function Phi(t) solution of the problem.

Use the rule for parametric differentiation with varying limits:

[tex]
\frac{d}{d x} \int_{\varphi_{1}(x)}^{\varphi_{2}(x)}{F(x, t) \, dt} = \int_{\varphi_{1}(x)}^{\varphi_{2}(x)}{\frac{\partial F(x, t)}{\partial x} \, dt} + F(x, \varphi_{2}(x)) \varphi'_{2}(x) - F(x, \varphi_{1}(x)) \varphi'_{1}(x)
[/tex]

Hmmm, testing...
[tex]
\frac{\partial F(x, t)}{\partial x}
[/tex]

JJacquelin said:
Suppose that a function Phi exists as a solution of the integral equation.
Then differentiate (relatively to x) the left and rigth terms of the equation. You obtain :
-1 = (-1/phi1)*Phi(t) where t=(1/phi2)-(x/phi1)
The left term is constant while the rigth term depends on x. This is impossible exept if the function Phi(t) is constant.
As we suppose Phi(t) is not constant, there is no function Phi(t) solution of the problem.
Is it that easy? Shame on me.. I will look into this tonight (I'm in the Netherlands) and come back to it!

Dickfore said:
Use the rule for parametric differentiation with varying limits:

[tex]
\frac{d}{d x} \int_{\varphi_{1}(x)}^{\varphi_{2}(x)}{F(x, t) \, dt} = \int_{\varphi_{1}(x)}^{\varphi_{2}(x)}{\frac{\partial F(x, t)}{\partial x} \, dt} + F(x, \varphi_{2}(x)) \varphi'_{2}(x) - F(x, \varphi_{1}(x)) \varphi'_{1}(x)
[/tex]

Hmmm, testing...
[tex]
\frac{\partial F(x, t)}{\partial x}
[/tex]

Thank you! More to study in the evening..

What you are trying to do is handled by a branch of analysis known as the calculus of variations.

Related to How Can You Solve This Complex Integral Equation Involving \(\phi(t)\)?

1. Why am I not able to solve this integral problem?

There could be several reasons why you are having difficulty solving this integral problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept or technique required to solve the integral, a mistake in your calculation, or the problem itself may be particularly challenging. It's important to carefully review the problem and your approach to identify where the issue may lie.

2. What can I do if I'm stuck on an integral problem?

If you're stuck on an integral problem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Review your notes or textbook for relevant examples and techniques. You can also seek help from a classmate, tutor, or teacher to get a different perspective on the problem. Sometimes, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh mind can also be helpful.

3. Is there a specific method or technique I should use to solve integrals?

There are several methods and techniques that can be used to solve integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The choice of method often depends on the form of the integral and your personal preference. It's important to have a strong understanding of the different techniques and when to apply them.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

While some calculators have the capability to solve basic integrals, it's important to note that using a calculator should only be a tool to check your work. It's crucial to understand the concepts and techniques behind solving integrals in order to fully grasp the material and be successful in more advanced applications.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic simplification, and forgetting to apply the chain rule or product rule when necessary. It's also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and make sure they are appropriately incorporated into the solution.