How Can You Factorize the Polynomial \( x^6 - 1 \)?

In summary, Homework Statement -Find two linear factors of p(x)-Show that the other factor of p(x) is x^4+x^2+1-Verify the identity x^4+x^2+1=(x^2+x+1)(x^2-x+1) and hence factor p(x) as a product of two linear factors and two quadratic factors.
roam

Homework Statement

Consider the polynomial [tex]p(x)=x^6-1[/tex]. (Apply over any field [tex]F[/tex]).

(a) Find two elements [tex]a,b \in F[/tex] so that [tex]p(a)=p(b)=0[/tex]. Then use your answer to find two linear factors of [tex]p(x)[/tex].

(b) Show that the other factor of [tex]p(x)[/tex] is [tex]x^4+x^2+1[/tex]

(c) Verify the identity [tex]x^4+x^2+1=(x^2+x+1)(x^2-x+1)[/tex] and hence factor [tex]p(x)[/tex] as a product of two linear factors and two quadratic factors.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [tex]x^6-1=0[/tex] can be re-written as [tex]x.x^5-1=0[/tex], therefore x=1 or -1. ±1 are the two roots of the équation. So I guess two linear factors would be [tex](x+1)[/tex] and [tex](x-1)[/tex]. Is this correct? :smile:

(b) I'm not quite sure how to show this one because I can't figure out what the question wants us to show... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that (x-1) and (x+1) are factors. Now show that the other factor is x4 + x2 + 1, or that p(x) can be factored as (x-1)(x+1)(x4 + x2 + 1)

Bohrok said:
You know that (x-1) and (x+1) are factors. Now show that the other factor is x4 + x2 + 1, or that p(x) can be factored as (x-1)(x+1)(x4 + x2 + 1)

That's the part I'm stuck on... I don't see how it can be factored like that.

Do you know about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial_long_division" ? It also helps to know that x6 - 1 can be factored following this pattern:
x2 - a2 = (x - a)(x + a)
x3 - a3 = (x -a )(x2 + xa + a2)
x4 - a4 = (x - a)(x3 + x2a + xa2 + a3)

The generalization is:
xn - an = (x - a)(xn-1 + xn-2a + xn-3a2 + ··· + x2an-3 + xan-2 + an-1)

There's a better way of finding -1 and +1 as the roots of p(x):
x6 - 1 = (x3)2 - 1 = (x3 - 1)(x3 + 1)
then let it equal 0 and solve for x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. So p(x)=x6-1 can be factored to:

(x-1)(x5+x4+x3+x2+x+1)

Now I still can't see how to show that [tex]x^4+x^2+1[/tex] is the other factor of p(x). :confused:

roam said:
x6-1 can be factored to:

(x-1)(x5+x4+x3+x2+x+1)
How do you know this is correct? How might you go about proving that x6-1 is really equal to this product?

you can divide by known factors
I would start with
x^6-1=(x^3+1)(x^3-1)
and
x^3-a^3=(x-a)(x^2+ax+a^2)
a=1 and -1 cases

I think the easiest way to solve the part the OP wants is what Halls was hinting towards to. Read the question carefully, its not asking you to derive or prove, its asking for something simpler than that.

roam said:
Thanks. So p(x)=x6-1 can be factored to:

(x-1)(x5+x4+x3+x2+x+1)

Now I still can't see how to show that [tex]x^4+x^2+1[/tex] is the other factor of p(x). :confused:

Now use polynomial division or synthetic division. Look at the links in my last post.

Gib Z said:
I think the easiest way to solve the part the OP wants is what Halls was hinting towards to. Read the question carefully, its not asking you to derive or prove, its asking for something simpler than that.

Did Halls delete his message? :confused:

My mistake, I meant Hurkyl.

Hi Bohrok, I already read your links. :smile:

I divided the polynomial p(x)=x6-1 by x4+x2+1 and the quotient was x2-1, no remainder. So it is a factor of p(x). Is this all I needed to show?

Now can you help me get started with part (c) please, I've no idea...

What you should do first is use (x-1) and (x+a), since you knew they were zeros, to divide x6 -1 by, then you'd get x4 + x2 + 1. This way you show the other factor is x4 + x2 + 1.

roam said:
Hi Bohrok, I already read your links. :smile:

I divided the polynomial p(x)=x6-1 by x4+x2+1 and the quotient was x2-1, no remainder. So it is a factor of p(x). Is this all I needed to show?

Now can you help me get started with part (c) please, I've no idea...

This is kind of backwards. You found the two linear factors [tex](x+1)(x-1)[/tex] so divide [tex]x^6-1[/tex] by [tex](x+1)(x-1)[/tex] or [tex]x^2-1[/tex] and you'll end up with [tex]x^4+x^2+1[/tex].

Also notice it's equivalent to factorizing the difference of 2 cubes:
[tex]z^3-a^3=(z-a)(z^2+az+1)[/tex]
where [tex]z=x^2[/tex]

I understand (b) now! But not quite sure how to go about doing part (c):

roam said:
(c) Verify the identity [tex]x^4+x^2+1=(x^2+x+1)(x^2-x+1)[/tex] and hence factor [tex]p(x)[/tex] as a product of two linear factors and two quadratic factors.

Well, expand the RHS and show it equals the LHS.
Then, since you've found from b) that: [tex]x^6-1=(x-1)(x+1)(x^4+x^2+1)[/tex]
and you've verified from the first part in c) that the quartic factor [tex]x^4+x^2+1[/tex] is equal to those 2 quadratic factors, once you show the quadratic factors cannot be simplified by showing they have complex roots or otherwise, hence completely factorize [tex]x^6-1[/tex]

Related to How Can You Factorize the Polynomial \( x^6 - 1 \)?

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It can also contain exponents, but not division by a variable.

2. What are linear factors in polynomials?

Linear factors in polynomials refer to expressions of the form (x - a), where a is a constant. These factors are called linear because the highest exponent of x is 1, making the expression a linear function.

3. How do you find the linear factors of a polynomial?

To find the linear factors of a polynomial, you can use the factor theorem or synthetic division. The factor theorem states that if (x - a) is a factor of a polynomial, then the polynomial will equal 0 when a is substituted for x. Synthetic division is a method of dividing the polynomial by (x - a) to find the remaining factors.

4. Why are linear factors important in polynomial equations?

Linear factors are important in polynomial equations because they allow us to break down a complex polynomial into simpler parts that are easier to solve. This is especially useful when trying to find the roots or zeros of a polynomial, as the linear factors can be set equal to 0 to solve for the corresponding values of x.

5. Can a polynomial have only linear factors?

Yes, a polynomial can have only linear factors, but this depends on the degree of the polynomial. A polynomial of degree n can have a maximum of n linear factors. For example, a polynomial of degree 3 can have 3 linear factors, while a polynomial of degree 1 can only have 1 linear factor.