How can my motors sharpen my knives?

• Thread starter bobmcgod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motors
In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving building a knife sharpener with two spinning cutting tools powered by small low voltage DC motors. The main challenge is determining the necessary power for the motors based on factors such as the tool and knife materials, surface velocity, and rate of material removal. The suggestion is to consult a reference book on machining operations, specifically grinding processes, to gain a better understanding of the required calculations.
bobmcgod
Hello

I'm currently studying an engineering course at college and for this I'm required to complete a project.

Knife sharpener.
Two spinning cutting tools driven by individual motors.

I'm wanting to power two small low voltage dc motors from a 230v ac supply.

There will be one main on/off switch, a variable speed switch (most likely a variable resistor of sorts) and two roller switches that activate the mechanism. Only one roller switch will be needed to activate the motors but at times both switches will be on.

I intending on using a phone charger like plug which will in turn plug into the main device. A power supply unit will then power the motors.

What I'm struggling with (I think) are the basic numbers. If I were to use 12v motors could I provide enough current from a 1000mA charging plug to get the motors going?

I don't know what maths I need to use.

Ta.

Bob.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have not described the size of the knife or the type of tool.
You will need to find the power required to drive the cutter or grinder when it is in contact with the knife.
Power will be a function of things like the tool and knife material, surface velocity and rate of material removal.

You should start by looking at a copy of Machinery's Handbook. Industrial Press Inc.
The section on machining operations, grinding processes, would be worth study.

Related to How can my motors sharpen my knives?

Question 1: How do motors sharpen knives?

Motors sharpen knives by rotating abrasive materials, such as grinding wheels or sandpaper, against the blade at high speeds. This friction removes small amounts of metal from the blade, creating a sharp edge.

Question 2: Can any type of motor be used for sharpening knives?

Yes, any motor that is capable of rotating abrasive materials at high speeds can be used to sharpen knives. However, certain motors may be more effective and efficient than others.

Question 3: What are the benefits of using motors to sharpen knives?

The main benefit of using motors for knife sharpening is the speed and precision at which it can be done. Motors can quickly remove small amounts of metal, resulting in a sharper edge than manual sharpening methods.

Question 4: Are there any safety precautions to take when using motors for sharpening knives?

Yes, it is important to always wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, when using motors for sharpening knives. It is also important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and never touch the rotating abrasive materials.

Question 5: Can motors damage knives during the sharpening process?

Yes, if not used properly, motors can potentially damage knives during the sharpening process. It is important to use the appropriate speed and pressure for the type of knife being sharpened and to carefully monitor the process to avoid over-sharpening or causing nicks in the blade.