How can I solve the partial differentiation equation provided?

In summary, the problem involves solving a partial differential equation by separating the variables and then integrating. The solution involves using the equation d/dy[g(y)] = y*g(y) and then integrating both sides. The final solution is ln[g(y)] = 1/2 * y^2 + c. Additionally, other proposed solutions are not correct.
Lavace

Homework Statement

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3853/physicse.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I kept y fixed, and so I ended up with the following equation:

Integ[dU/U] = Integ[x]

And we end up with: U(x,y) = e^x * g(y)

To solve g(y), we sub the solution into the 2nd PDE provided to give:

d/dy[e^x * g(y)] = y[e^x * g(y)]

Dividing through by e^x: d/dy [g(y)] = y*g(y)

I was stuck at this point, so took a peek at the answers to find the lecturer wrote:
=> ln[g(y)] = 1/2*y^2 + c

How did he come to that? I can't solve this equation, could someone please help me out?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have also tried working the other way round but still, no joy.

Any help?

I don't think that is quite the right answer,

Cause couldn't for the first step anything like g(y)e^x + h(y) work?

So pluging that into the second equation you get g'(y)e^x+h'(y) = y(g(y)e^x+0)
so h'(y)= c, and g'(y)=yg(y), you can solve from there.

Lavace said:

Homework Statement

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3853/physicse.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I kept y fixed, and so I ended up with the following equation:

Integ[dU/U] = Integ[x]

And we end up with: U(x,y) = e^x * g(y)

To solve g(y), we sub the solution into the 2nd PDE provided to give:

d/dy[e^x * g(y)] = y[e^x * g(y)]

Dividing through by e^x: d/dy [g(y)] = y*g(y)
This is a separable equation.
dg/g= ydy

Integrate both sides.

I was stuck at this point, so took a peek at the answers to find the lecturer wrote:
=> ln[g(y)] = 1/2*y^2 + c

How did he come to that? I can't solve this equation, could someone please help me out?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
n1person said:
I don't think that is quite the right answer,

Cause couldn't for the first step anything like g(y)e^x + h(y) work?
No, it wouldn't. The derivative of that, with respect to x, is g(y)e^x, NOT U(x,y)= g(y)e^x+ h(y). What Lavace did was correct.

So pluging that into the second equation you get g'(y)e^x+h'(y) = y(g(y)e^x+0)
so h'(y)= c, and g'(y)=yg(y), you can solve from there.

Related to How can I solve the partial differentiation equation provided?

1. What is partial differentiation and why is it important?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding other variables constant. It is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, as it allows us to analyze how a system changes in response to a specific variable while keeping other factors constant.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation involves taking the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. Ordinary differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a single variable function with respect to that variable. In other words, partial differentiation accounts for the influence of other variables on the rate of change, while ordinary differentiation does not.

3. Can you give an example of partial differentiation?

One example of partial differentiation is finding the partial derivative of a function representing the area of a rectangle, with respect to one of its sides. In this case, we are holding the other side constant and determining how the area changes as the side we are differentiating with respect to changes.

4. What is the purpose of using partial differentiation in real-world applications?

Partial differentiation is used in real-world applications to analyze complex systems that involve multiple variables. For example, it can be used to optimize production processes in manufacturing, study the behavior of financial markets, or model the movement of particles in physics.

5. What are some common techniques for solving partial differentiation problems?

Some common techniques for solving partial differentiation problems include the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule. Other methods involve using implicit differentiation, solving systems of equations, and converting the function into polar or parametric coordinates. Additionally, computer software and numerical methods can also be used to solve more complex partial differentiation problems.