How can I safely uninstall a program without an uninstaller?

• Thread starter ViolinIsLife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, uninstalling a program without an uninstaller can be done by manually deleting the root folder and its subfolders, as well as removing any associated registry entries. However, this can be a risky practice and it is recommended to use a registry cleaning tool afterwards.
ViolinIsLife
Computer Uninstalling problem!

I have a question of how to uninstall a program safely without some kind of uninstaller shown in Add and Remove. For example, I installed cigwin in my computer, and I don't know how to install it since there's no an unintaller associated with it. Thank you very much for whatever advice!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Just delete the root folder and all its subfolders, as explained here:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC20

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically when you install a program in windows you do the following:
. copy some files over to program files directory
. copy some libraries (dlls) over to either windows or program files directory
. add some entries to the registry. If you selected to install for every user, then changes are made to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, otherwise to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
. create shortcuts and start menu entries.

You can manually roll back the installation, but you will probably find yourself manually editing the registry which is a dangerous practice.
There are tools that clean the registry and look for orphan dlls, such as Ashampoo's WinOptimizer: http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/homepage/php/index.php?session_langid=2
which you would use after manually deleting the root folder.

Related to How can I safely uninstall a program without an uninstaller?

What is a "Computer Uninstalling problem"?

A "Computer Uninstalling problem" refers to an issue where a user is unable to properly remove a software or program from their computer. This can be caused by various reasons such as corrupted files, conflicting software, or incomplete uninstallation processes.

Why is it important to properly uninstall programs from a computer?

It is important to properly uninstall programs from a computer to free up storage space, improve computer performance, and prevent potential conflicts with other software. Incomplete or incorrect uninstallation can also lead to errors and system crashes.

How can I troubleshoot a "Computer Uninstalling problem"?

To troubleshoot a "Computer Uninstalling problem", you can try restarting your computer and then attempting to uninstall the program again. If that doesn't work, you can try using a third-party uninstaller tool or manually deleting the program's files and registry entries. You can also check for any updates or patches for the program that may address the uninstallation issue.

What should I do if I accidentally uninstall a program?

If you accidentally uninstall a program, you can usually reinstall it by downloading it from the original source or using the installation disc. However, if you have permanently deleted the program's files, you may need to contact the software developer for assistance or purchase a new license.

How can I prevent "Computer Uninstalling problems" in the future?

To prevent "Computer Uninstalling problems", make sure to regularly update your software and operating system, use reputable antivirus software to scan for and remove any potential malware, and carefully follow the recommended uninstallation steps for each program. It is also helpful to do some research on a program before installing it to ensure it is compatible with your system and has a good reputation for being easily uninstalled.