How can I remove copper windings on an armature by soaking it in acetone?

• Chemical/Paint
  • Thread starter John1397
  • Start date
In summary, the best way to free up copper windings on an armature is to heat them in an oven at a temperature higher than a typical kitchen oven and with means to deal with the smoke from the burned insulation. Alternatively, the self-cleaning cycle of a kitchen oven can be used, but it is recommended to do it outside due to the smoke. It is important to remove the commutator before heating as the outer layer of insulation is usually a thermal-set epoxy or lacquer that can be pyrolyzed at temperatures between 150°C and 250°C.
John1397
TL;DR Summary
Soak armature to free up windings
What is best way to free up copper windings on armature like maybe soak in acetone?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a summer job once in an electric motor rebuild shop. They baked out the windings in an oven. I don't know the oven temperature, but it would have been hotter than a typical kitchen oven. And it had a means of dealing with the smoke from the burned insulation.

Maybe use the self cleaning cycle of a self cleaning kitchen oven? Do it outside because of the smoke.

Armatures are often wound with a two layer insulation. The outer layer is a thermal-set epoxy or lacquer. There will be a temperature at which the glue is pyrolysed. That is usually between 150° C and 250° C.

You will probably need to remove the commutator before heating.

Related to How can I remove copper windings on an armature by soaking it in acetone?

1. How long should I soak the armature in acetone?

The length of time needed to soak the armature in acetone will depend on the thickness of the copper windings and the strength of the acetone. Generally, it is recommended to soak the armature for at least 24 hours to ensure that the windings are fully dissolved.

2. Will soaking the armature in acetone damage the metal?

No, acetone is a relatively mild solvent and should not damage the metal of the armature. However, it is always a good idea to test a small area first to ensure that there are no adverse reactions.

3. Can I reuse the acetone after soaking the armature?

Yes, you can reuse the acetone for multiple soakings as long as it is still clear and has not become too saturated with dissolved copper. However, it is recommended to filter the acetone through a coffee filter or similar before reusing it to remove any debris or particles.

4. Do I need to wear protective gear while handling acetone?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a face mask while handling acetone as it can be harmful if it comes into contact with the skin or is inhaled. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid breathing in fumes.

5. Are there any alternatives to using acetone for removing copper windings?

Yes, there are other solvents that can be used to remove copper windings, such as mineral spirits or paint thinner. However, these may not be as effective as acetone and may require longer soaking times. It is important to always use caution and follow safety guidelines when working with any type of solvent.