How Can I Prevent My LC Circuit Capacitor from Overheating?

In summary, you have an LC circuit at resonance except the capacitor gets very hot. You are dissipating 2.24 watts in a surface mount capacitor. The capacitor is resonating at 20 kHz. The power rating of the capacitor is not given, but it is probably similar to a SM resistor of the same size. If the capacitor is getting hot, just reduce the drive until it doesn't get hot.
lankan_ice_405
So I have an LC circuit at resonance except the capacitor gets very hot.

There is about ~2Amps AC going across it.
The setup is:

2x 0.1uF capacitors in parallel
~304uH inductor

the ESR of the cap is 0.56ohms and the resistance of the inductor is ~0.7ohms.

I was looking for the power rating of the capacitor but I couldn't find it.
its the Kemet Ceramic Capacitor; 240C330C104KCR5TA. Rated for 500V, but I'm pushing in well below that.
Its resonating at 20kHz.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you're dissipating 2.24 watts in a surface mount capacitor. No wonder it's getting hot. P = I^2*R = 2^2*0.54

But when I used another set of 5 capacitors in series (1uF, 0.04ohms ESR), they also got very hot as well. It works out to about 0.2 Watts.

What is considered "a lot" for a regular ceramic capacitor anyways? I looked on the datasheet for this thing but it wasn't much help.

Are there any high power capacitors I can use as an alternative?

- Is this series or parallel resonance?

- What voltage are you driving the circuit with?

lankan_ice_405 said:
But when I used another set of 5 capacitors in series (1uF, 0.04ohms ESR), they also got very hot as well. It works out to about 0.2 Watts.

What is considered "a lot" for a regular ceramic capacitor anyways? I looked on the datasheet for this thing but it wasn't much help.

I don't know what you're application is so I don't know if you can use other types of capacitors. Do a search on "low ESR capacitor", or "low ESR ceramic capacitor."

To reduce loss from ESR you would place them is parallel if you don't exceed the voltage rating.

lankan_ice_405 said:
I was looking for the power rating of the capacitor but I couldn't find it.
its the Kemet Ceramic Capacitor; 240C330C104KCR5TA. Rated for 500V, but I'm pushing in well below that.
Its resonating at 20kHz.

Capacitors will generally not have a power rating. They will have a voltage rating, and a ripple current rating. Do you see a ripple current rating in the datasheet?

It also depends on how you are measuring the 2 amps. Most multimeters would tell you lies when the frequency is 20 KHz. The current could be a lot higher than you are seeing.

Try putting a small resistor (10 ohms) in series with the coil / capacitor series combination. Measure the AC voltage across the resistor with an oscilloscope.
You should be able to get better capacitors by accepting a larger size than surface mount.

If the capacitor is getting hot, just reduce the drive until it doesn't get hot.

skeptic2 said:
Looks to me like you're dissipating 2.24 watts in a surface mount capacitor. No wonder it's getting hot. P = I^2*R = 2^2*0.54

It might be even more if the LC resonator has a Q>1 (the energy stored in a resonator depends on its coupling factor as well as the Q value).

Whast the typical power rating of ceramic capacitors?
I'm thinking of making a bank of about 10 caps

lankan_ice_405 said:
Whast the typical power rating of ceramic capacitors?
I'm thinking of making a bank of about 10 caps

Please re-read my post #6 above.

lankan_ice_405 said:

Can you give us the dimensions of the capacitors referred to above? You're dissipating 0.16 W in each one and they would have to be fairly small to get warm with that low a power. Again, how did you determine the 2 amps?

Have a look at these capacitors at Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102589

That is probably what you need to be using.

Just curious, how are you getting so much power at 20 KHz?

Surface mount components' heat dissipation depends on the size, but the smaller sizes of resistors have dissipations of 50mW to 100mW. So, although the dissipation of a capacitor is not given, it is probably similar to a SM resistor of the same size.

Last edited:

Related to How Can I Prevent My LC Circuit Capacitor from Overheating?

What are hot components?

Hot components are electronic components that generate a significant amount of heat during operation. This heat can negatively affect the performance and lifespan of the component, and may require additional cooling methods.

What causes components to become hot?

There are several factors that can contribute to a component becoming hot. These include high power consumption, heavy load, inadequate cooling, and poor design or manufacturing.

How can hot components be identified?

Hot components can often be identified by physically touching them and feeling for excessive heat. Additionally, they may also be identified through thermal imaging or by monitoring the temperature of the surrounding area.

What are the risks associated with hot components?

Hot components can pose several risks, including reduced performance and efficiency, shortened lifespan, and potential damage to other components or the entire system. In extreme cases, they may also lead to safety hazards such as fires.

How can hot components be managed or prevented?

Hot components can be managed or prevented by ensuring proper installation and cooling methods, using components with adequate power ratings, and carefully monitoring and adjusting system parameters as needed. Additionally, selecting high-quality components with efficient designs can also help prevent excessive heat generation.