How Can I Plan to Become a Universal Engineer?

In summary: If you are passionate about it and have the skill set, you can find a job in that area. It completely depends on the employer. I am an electrical engineer and at the company I work for projects typically run 1 - 1.5 years. On a particular project I may be doing circuit design, software/firmware control systems, system modeling, some of all of that, or more general software/firmware projects. So there is some variation there. One project may be a hydraulic controller software, the next might be a circuit card design for a video conversion adapter. Between projects I may get very boring work until the next project starts. But none
Thing1
I would like to have job tasks that are as interdisciplinary as possible. I'm trying to avoid boring routine work; regularly growing my skills and knowledge. Could aerospace and chemical engineering accomplish this goal?

Also, is it common to work as an interdisciplinary engineer after you pass the PE test or display outstanding-broad skills/knowledge?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is some overlap between mechanical, civil, and chemical engineering.

So one approach would be to major in mechanical engineering and minor in one of the other two. Take courses in 3D solid modelling, controls, instrumentation, structural engineering, fluids & heat transfer (especially CFD & FEA), pressure vessel design (if available), and process engineering (if available).

Thing1 said:
I would like to have job tasks that are as interdisciplinary as possible. I'm trying to avoid boring routine work; regularly growing my skills and knowledge. Could aerospace and chemical engineering accomplish this goal?

Also, is it common to work as an interdisciplinary engineer after you pass the PE test or display outstanding-broad skills/knowledge?

Thanks!

I'd be a bit nervous trying to avoid boring routine work... since most of work is just that. Also, be aware that being a "jack-of-all-trades" is the express lane to boring routine work. To do the really cool stuff you have to be able to go all the way down the rabbit hole.

especially CFD & FEA

It's not a great idea to use acronyms on this forum for academic guidance. I'm an aerospace engineering major and I have no idea what "FEA" is, though I probably know its full name.

I'm going to guess that they are (respectively) Computational Fluid Dynamics and Finite Element Analysis

Oh, and I agree that being a jack of all trades (and master of none) isn't really the best way to go. You'll likely have more interesting work if you specialize a bit more, since that will allow you to be a lot more qualified for the more interesting jobs.

carlgrace said:
I'd be a bit nervous trying to avoid boring routine work... since most of work is just that. Also, be aware that being a "jack-of-all-trades" is the express lane to boring routine work. To do the really cool stuff you have to be able to go all the way down the rabbit hole.

Agreed. That's an interesting spin which evaded my thoughts. Although, I'm not suggesting a jack-of-all-trades, expertise in none. Lifelong learning is the goal.(I participate in heavy amounts of self study -- all included university materials.) I do have stronger interests which are potential areas of expertise.

I think I would enjoy software/electrical engineering, and dislike basic mechanical work. So, majoring in electrical engineering and something else seems ideal. Putting all my eggs in broader baskets, seemed, closer to my goal.

Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
It really depends on your university. Mine won't even allow a minor in engineering if your major is in engineering, AFAIK. But if 'basic mechanical work' bothers you, then the broadest discipline is electrical engineering. However, the most versatile is without a doubt mechanical engineering, because a mechanical engineer can work on practically anything.

Engineering is more versatile than you think. Just because you're an aerospace engineer, for instance, doesn't mean you're locked into a career in the aerospace industry.

Engineering is more versatile than you think. Just because you're an aerospace engineer, for instance, doesn't mean you're locked into a career in the aerospace industry.

I know engineering is versatile, I'm interested in questions addressing how versatile it is. How much versatility will employers let you put to use?

Last edited:
Angry Citizen said:
However, the most versatile is without a doubt mechanical engineering, because a mechanical engineer can work on practically anything.

Job tasks is what I'm trying to figure out. I understand a mechanical engineering can work on a refrigerator or an airplane.

I desperately need internships.

"How much versatility will employers let you put to use?"

That completely depends on the employer. I am an electrical engineer and at the company I work for projects typically run 1 - 1.5 years. On a particular project I may be doing circuit design, software/firmware control systems, system modeling, some of all of that, or more general software/firmware projects. So there is some variation there. One project may be a hydraulic controller software, the next might be a circuit card design for a video conversion adapter. Between projects I may get very boring work until the next project starts.

But none of those are overly complex or cutting edge technology either. I know other engineers that range from chemical engineers who are basically program managers at plants, electrical and mechanical engineers who have very small areas of responsibilities at large companies like the power management circuit on a cell phone, or the battery housing design for a cell phone.

The best advice I would give is pick the area of engineering that interest you the most and then worry about what your actual job responsibilities will be when you start working and finding out what it is really like.

Related to How Can I Plan to Become a Universal Engineer?

1. How do I get started in becoming a universal engineer?

To become a universal engineer, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science. This can be achieved by taking relevant courses in high school and pursuing a degree in engineering or a related field in college. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities.

2. What skills do I need to become a universal engineer?

To become a universal engineer, you will need a combination of technical skills, such as computer programming, problem-solving, and analytical thinking, as well as soft skills like communication, teamwork, and adaptability. It is important to continuously develop and improve these skills to excel as a universal engineer.

3. Is it necessary to specialize in a specific field of engineering?

While specializing in a specific field of engineering can be beneficial, it is not necessary to become a universal engineer. Having a broad knowledge base and being able to apply engineering principles to various fields is more important. However, you may choose to specialize in a particular area later in your career if desired.

4. What industries can I work in as a universal engineer?

A universal engineer can work in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, healthcare, manufacturing, and many more. As a universal engineer, you will have the skills to adapt and work in various industries and can choose to pursue a career in any field that interests you.

5. How can I stay updated on new developments and technologies as a universal engineer?

To stay updated on new developments and technologies, it is important to continuously learn and seek out opportunities for professional development. This can include attending conferences, workshops, and seminars, as well as keeping up with industry news and trends. Networking with other engineers and professionals in your field can also help you stay informed and connected.