How can I make something like determinants tangible? Are there real

In summary, determinants can be made tangible by understanding their relationship to volume and their use in determining the solvability of systems of linear equations. They were originally discovered in the context of finding solutions for a set of N N-dimensional linear equations.
matqkks
How can I make something like determinants tangible? Are there real life examples where determinants are used?

Science news on Phys.org

matqkks said:
How can I make something like determinants tangible? Are there real life examples where determinants are used?

Volume comes up:

- The volume of a parallelepiped equals the determinant of the 3 x 3 matrix made up by its 3 "base vectors".
(if "oriented" lefthanded, it will come out negative).

The determinant determines how the corresponding linear mapping changes all kinds of volumes.

Volume is probably the most tangible example, but another one to keep in mind is that they allow you to determine whether a system of linear equations has a solution (the determinant of the matrix of coefficients must be nonzero). To apply this to real life you just need to come up with a real life situation where you get a system of linear equations. On the other hand, though, when first introducing the determinant to someone this might just seem like voodoo.

the two are related. and the explanation is a little backwards. having determinant zero is not necessary for a solution to exist but rather it is sufficient.

(this discussion only applies to maps between spaces of the same dimension.)
if the determinant is non zero, then an n dimensional block is transformed into another n dimensional block, i.e. the dimension of the image space is the same as that of the source space.

It follows that the image space is equal to the entire target space, and hence that every equation has a solution. On the other hand even if a linear map from n space to n space lowers dimension, so that the image is a proper subspace of the target, some equations will still have solutions, but not all.

How's about considering the way determinants were discovered to begin with, namely in relation to finding the solution point for a set of N N-dimensional linear equations. That's certainly tangible :-)

Related to How can I make something like determinants tangible? Are there real

1. How can I understand the concept of determinants in a tangible way?

One way to make determinants tangible is to think of them as a numerical value that represents the scaling factor of a transformation. For example, if you have a 2D vector and multiply it by a 2x2 matrix, the determinant of that matrix will tell you by how much the area of the vector has changed. You can also use physical objects, such as shapes or blocks, to represent the vectors and matrices to visualize the transformation.

2. Are there real-life applications for determinants?

Yes, determinants have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, calculate areas and volumes, and determine the stability of systems in physics and engineering. In economics, determinants are used to analyze market equilibrium and in computer science, they are used in algorithms for image and data processing.

3. How can I calculate determinants without using a formula?

One way to calculate determinants without using a formula is by using the cofactor expansion method. This method involves breaking down the matrix into smaller matrices and using the values of those matrices to calculate the determinant. Another method is the Gaussian elimination method, which involves using row operations to reduce the matrix into an upper triangular form, making it easier to calculate the determinant.

4. Can determinants be negative or zero?

Yes, determinants can be negative, positive, or zero. The sign of the determinant depends on the orientation of the vectors in the matrix. If the vectors are arranged in a counterclockwise orientation, the determinant will be positive, and if they are arranged in a clockwise orientation, the determinant will be negative. If the vectors are linearly dependent, meaning they lie on the same line, the determinant will be equal to zero.

5. How can I use determinants to solve a system of equations?

Determinants can be used to solve systems of linear equations by setting up the coefficients of the variables in a matrix and the constant terms in a separate vector. If the determinant of the coefficient matrix is non-zero, the system has a unique solution. The inverse of the coefficient matrix can be used to solve for the variables. If the determinant is equal to zero, the system either has no solution or an infinite number of solutions depending on the consistency of the equations.