How Can I Learn About Permanent Magnet Field Strengths and Interactions?

In summary: I'm seeing that the strength of a magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance between the magnets. Is this also true for the field shape? For example, if I have a magnet that has a North and South pole and I place it further away from another magnet, will the field of the first magnet be more spread out or will it be more concentrated in one area?
Wingwalker
Im looking to do some projects with permanent magnets.

I don't have access to a gaussmeter and I'm wondering if there are any sites that have representations, descriptions or formulas for the field strengths of ferrite or neodymium magnets.

Also i need to learn about how magnetic fields from permanent magnets interact with each other in attractive and repulsive situations containing mulitple magnets.

Im guessing I am going to have a lot to learn as I have no formal physics education.

Any help enabeling me to understand this concept would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The interactions of magnets is very complicated unless you strive to keep the geometry simple.
Computing the field strengths of magnets is also not easy.
So the details will depend a lot on what you want to do with them.

Manufacturers will often tell you a rated strength for their products - read carefully.

The equations for electromagnets and magnetic induction are (a bit) easier - if I were you, I'd use a coil of wire to measure field strengths and run it as an electromagnet to compare strengths.

Try the wikipedia articles for permanent and electro-magnets as starting points.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply. So, I have a N35 neodymium magnet 12mm x 12mm x 6mm with north and south being on the opposing 12 x 12 faces. If I were to plot out in 3d space the strength of the field at that a particular point and assign a colour to that point (red and blue for example) to represent its polarity then I could build up a visual representation of the magnet and its field. If I then repeated this for 3 other magnets of the same grade and same size but with one dimension changed, say changing 6mm to 12mm then 24mm and lastly 48mm I would get a get a data set that I could then use to determine the strength and field shape of a magnet that is 16mm. Correct?

I'm hoping that I am correct and his has been done before and there is some formula that can calculate this without me having to purchase a gaussmeter and do it myself, it seems pretty basic.

I'm reading through the wiki also

Related to How Can I Learn About Permanent Magnet Field Strengths and Interactions?

1. What is a permanent magnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that produces a magnetic field without the need for an external source of power. It retains its magnetic properties over a long period of time and does not require an electric current to maintain its magnetism.

2. How are permanent magnets made?

Permanent magnets can be made by exposing certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, to a strong magnetic field. This aligns the magnetic domains within the material, creating a permanent magnetic field. They can also be made by heating or cooling a material in the presence of a magnetic field.

3. What are the uses of permanent magnets?

Permanent magnets have a wide range of uses, including in electric motors, generators, speakers, and magnetic storage devices such as hard drives. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in everyday items like fridge magnets and magnetic jewelry clasps.

4. Can permanent magnets lose their magnetism?

While permanent magnets are designed to retain their magnetism over a long period of time, they can lose their magnetism if they are subjected to high temperatures, strong vibrations, or demagnetizing fields. They can also lose their magnetism if they are dropped or struck repeatedly.

5. How can I demagnetize a permanent magnet?

To demagnetize a permanent magnet, you can heat it to a high temperature and then slowly cool it down. You can also use a demagnetizing field, which is a magnetic field that is opposite to the magnet's original field. Alternatively, you can drop or strike the magnet repeatedly to jostle the magnetic domains and disrupt the magnetism.