How can I generate practical electricity using a pendulum and a magnetic field?

In summary, if you are able to maintain the oscillation of a pendulum and use a non-conducting weight and a non-uniform magnetic field with a gap, you can generate a small amount of electricity by wrapping copper wire around the pendulum weight. However, this method will not generate enough voltage to charge a magnet without using a diode. Alternatively, you can use a magnet as the pendulum weight and a stationary coil to generate electricity. In terms of determining the practicality of this project, it may be necessary to consider mathematical relationships and potential investments.
elmarsur
Assume I can maintain the oscillation of a pendulum. Can I generate a practical amount of electric current by letting the pendulum oscillate in a magnetic field?
(practical amount in this case means enough electricity to do useful work).

1)Do I need a series of pendula in their respective fields?
2)Very fine and many coils?
3) Are there any mathematical relationship possible to determine the size before experimenting?

Thank you .

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are two ways you can generate an electrical current (very little) with a pendulum.

1) You will need a non conducting pendulum weight. You will need a non uniform magnetic field (two neodymium magnets) with a gap between them that the pendulum swings between (so you will want a thin weight). Wrap many turns of thin copper wire around the pendulum weight (in the plane of the pendulum oscillation). If you attach the two ends of the wire together, the current generated in the wire coil will damp the pendulum swing (proof that you are generating electricity). The pendulum swing will not be damped if the two ends of the wire are not connected. ou will not be able to generate dnough voltage to charge a magnet (you will need a diode to prevent shorting the battery).

2) (not part of your initial condition). Use a magnet for your pendulum weight, and use a stationary coil.

Bob S

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Bob!
Can point 3) be addressed generally?

Also, if I found a way to maintain the oscillations without use of fossil or bio- fuels, would you be interested in participating in the project? The aim is to make it an alternate source of energy.
But number 3) might be necessary in order to give some idea of the worth of the project - in order to warrant investments.

Thank you.

Related to How can I generate practical electricity using a pendulum and a magnetic field?

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by varying the magnetic field that passes through the conductor. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the early 1800s.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by the principle of Faraday's law of induction. When a magnetic field changes, it produces an electric field, which in turn generates an electric current in a conductor. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, induction motors, and wireless charging devices. It is also used in devices like electric toothbrushes and induction cooktops.

4. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and electrostatic induction?

The main difference between electromagnetic induction and electrostatic induction is that electromagnetic induction involves the production of an electric current in a conductor by varying a magnetic field, while electrostatic induction involves the redistribution of charge in an object due to the presence of an external electric field.

5. Can electromagnetic induction be used to produce renewable energy?

Yes, electromagnetic induction is a key principle in the production of renewable energy. Wind turbines and hydroelectric generators use the rotation of a magnet in a magnetic field to generate electricity through electromagnetic induction. Solar panels also use electromagnetic induction to convert sunlight into electrical energy.