How can I find two perpendicular vectors in R^3 and a value of c?

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to find two nonzero vectors v and w in R^3 and a value of c so that each of v and w is perpendicular to all three given vectors, at least one of the three vectors must be a linear combination of the other two. The cross product of two vectors can be used to find a vector perpendicular to both, and the dot product of this vector with the third can be set equal to 0 to solve for c. Any multiple of this vector can be used as w.
Noxide
my brain is not working i need some major help

Find two nonzero vectors v,w in R^3 and a value of c so that each of v and w is perpendicular to all three vectors (wtf.):

[ 2-c ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

and...

[ -1 ]
[ -1 ]
[ 1 ]

AND THEN !

[ 1 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 1-c]

/cry

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way that you can find a three-dimensional vector which is perpendicular to three other vectors, is if the latter three vectors are not all linearly independent. In other words, at least one of them must be expressable as a linear combination of the other two.

Also, the question doesn't state that v and w must be different, so once you find a vector v, you can take w = r v for any number r :P

So your vectors are <2- c, 1, 0>, <-1, -1, 1>, and <1, 2, 1- c>? And you want to find two vectors perpendicular to all 3?

Okay, first, there does NOT exist a vector, in R3 that is perpendicular to three independent vectors so one of the given vectors must be a linear combination of the other two. Also the "cross product" of two vectors is perpendicular to both so I would start by finding the cross product of two of these.

Take the cross product of the first two vectors to get a vector that is perpendicular to the first two. Then take the dot product of that with the third vector and set it equal to 0. Solve that equation for c. That will give one vector, v, perpendicular to all three and the value of c. Since there are no other conditions on w, just take any multiple of v for w.

WTFPWNED!

Thanks guys. I had no idea there was something called a cross product until now, but it's loleasy!

Related to How can I find two perpendicular vectors in R^3 and a value of c?

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How do I solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you must first identify the given information and the unknown quantities. Then, you can use vector addition, subtraction, and multiplication by a scalar to manipulate the given vectors and find the solution. It is important to pay attention to the direction and magnitude of the vectors in order to correctly solve the problem.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity (which includes direction) is a vector quantity. Scalars are represented by a single number, while vectors are represented by both magnitude and direction.

4. How do I represent a vector graphically?

A vector can be represented graphically by an arrow. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector. The arrow should start at the origin and point in the direction of the vector.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector problems?

Vector problems have many real-life applications, such as in navigation and mapping, projectile motion, and analyzing forces in structures. They are also used in computer graphics to represent and manipulate images and animations. In addition, vectors are used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to forces, motion, and electricity.