How can I compare bits and perform bit shifts in SystemVerilog?

• Thread starter hoheiho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Shift
In summary: Start off with phiby's example:a = 011;b = 010;result = !(a ^ b);count = 0;while(bits != 0){count += 1;bits = bits & (bits-1);}/* count = # matching bits */thanks for the reply
hoheiho
Hi, i am trying to do a bit shift in systemverilog and compare the bit. For example:
i give a input A=011. Then the input will compare with another digital that i have already setup in fsm like 010. Now it will do the compare,
0 to 0---> bitmatch=1
1 to 1 ---> bitmatch=1
1 to 0 ---> bitmatch=0

How can i do the bit shift in here? i did some research in google it say i can use >> for right shift but it will gives a 0 bit on the other side. what i want is just compare it bit by bit and go to next stage.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
hoheiho said:
Hi, i am trying to do a bit shift in systemverilog and compare the bit. For example:
i give a input A=011. Then the input will compare with another digital that i have already setup in fsm like 010. Now it will do the compare,
0 to 0---> bitmatch=1
1 to 1 ---> bitmatch=1
1 to 0 ---> bitmatch=0

How can i do the bit shift in here? i did some research in google it say i can use >> for right shift but it will gives a 0 bit on the other side. what i want is just compare it bit by bit and go to next stage.

Thanks for the help

Your question is rather unclear. And I have no idea what's a systemverilog.

But if you have 011 and 010 as input and want to get 110 as output, then you can first XOR the 2 inputs & then NOT the result of the XOR.

In C or C++.

a = 011;
b = 010;
result = !(a ^ b);

Sorry for the unclear question. let say it like:
I got 3 digital;A, B and C. A is input which is 011. B and C are the define value in the code which is 010 and 110. I need to compare A with B and C to see how many bit are matched. First, compare A with B of their first bit from left to right.
0 compare with 0---> bitmatch=1
1 compare with 1 ---> bitmatch=1
1 compare with 0 ---> bitmatch=0
In this part, i have to do the "bit shifting" ; B's first bit compare with A's first bit. Then B's second bit compare with A's second bit.
My question is how can i do the bit shifting?

hoheiho said:
Sorry for the unclear question. let say it like:
I got 3 digital;A, B and C. A is input which is 011. B and C are the define value in the code which is 010 and 110. I need to compare A with B and C to see how many bit are matched. First, compare A with B of their first bit from left to right.
0 compare with 0---> bitmatch=1
1 compare with 1 ---> bitmatch=1
In this part, i have to do the "bit shifting" ; B's first bit compare with A's first bit. Then B's second bit compare with A's second bit.
My question is how can i do the bit shifting?

What you describe is not called "bit shifting" - it's just bit comparison. My original reply gives you a way of comparing bits the way you way. Bitwise XOR A & B and the NOT the result. You will get 1 in all positions where the bits are the same & 0 in all positions where the bits are different.

A = 011
B = 010

result = A XOR B (A^B) = 001
NOT result (!result) = 110

hoheiho said:
See how many bit are matched.

phiby said:
a = 011;
b = 010;
result = !(a ^ b) = 110;

Assuming you want to count the number of bits that match, you don't need to shift. Start off with phiby's example:

Code:
    bits = !(a ^ b);             /* bits = not (a xor b) */
    count = 0;
    while(bits != 0){            /* count # of 1 bits */
        count += 1;
        bits = bits & (bits-1);  /* bits = bits and (bits - 1) */
    }                            /*  clears the right most 1 */
                                 /* count = # matching bits */

thanks for the reply
sorry for i didnt say it clear again
I have to return to the starting part immediately when the bitmatch is 0. For example:

A = 011
B = 001

0 compare with 0 (i) ---> bitmatch=1
Now compare the last bit of A which is 1 to the first bit of B which is 0

If i use the way of u guys suggested, it will finish the whole digital then back to the first part (i). But not back to part (i) immediately when bitmatch is 0

Last edited:
If this is verilog (circuit design language), can't you just use three 1 bit registers to hold the value for A and another set of three 1 bit registers to hold the value for B? In this case you can grind out the logic with a series of matrix like paths and gates.

It still isn't clear what you're trying to accomplish.

rcgldr said:
If this is verilog (circuit design language), can't you just use three 1 bit registers to hold the value for A and another set of three 1 bit registers to hold the value for B? In this case you can grind out the logic with a series of matrix like paths and gates.

It still isn't clear what you're trying to accomplish. Are you searching B for a bit pattern in A?

I can use 3 stages to hold 3 bit and do the compare. And this is what i did before like A = 0 0 1
S1 = 0, S2 = 0, S3 = 1. If i do this i got around 300 stages after because there are some more bit i need to compare after.

Now my idea is use A to hold 1 digital (001). And compare the input with A bit by bit (left to right). My problem is how to compare the input 1 with the bit in A? I try to use A[2] to get the second bit in A. But it doesn't work. my idea is :
A [0] -->compare with input
A [1] --> compare with input
and so on

i hope i make it clear now

So that I can understand what your trying to do, consider A,B,C as a 9 bit index into a 512 entry lookup table. Yes it's a huge number of gates, but then I could understand what you're trying to do. You only need to show a few key seuqences:

table[A,B,C] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]

table[000 000 000] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]
table[000 000 001] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]
table[000 000 010] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]
table[111 111 111] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]

How many bits are in each entry in the table?

rcgldr said:
So that I can understand what your trying to do, consider A,B,C as a 9 bit index into a 512 entry lookup table. Yes it's a huge number of gates, but then I could understand what you're trying to do. You only need to show a few key seuqences:

table[A,B,C] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]

table[000 000 000] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]
table[000 000 001] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]
table[000 000 010] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]
table[111 111 111] = [? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?]

How many bits are in each entry in the table?
thanks for the help

i know how to work it out now

Last edited:

Related to How can I compare bits and perform bit shifts in SystemVerilog?

What is a shift bit in SystemVerilog?

A shift bit in SystemVerilog is a method used to shift the position of a bit or a group of bits in a binary number. This is achieved by moving all the bits to the left or right by a certain number of positions, depending on the type of shift operation.

What are the different types of shift operations in SystemVerilog?

There are three main types of shift operations in SystemVerilog: left shift (<<), right shift (>>), and arithmetic right shift (>>>)

What is the difference between left shift and right shift in SystemVerilog?

The main difference between left shift and right shift in SystemVerilog is the direction in which the bits are shifted. Left shift moves the bits towards the left, while right shift moves the bits towards the right. Additionally, left shift inserts 0s at the vacant bit positions, while right shift inserts either 0s or 1s depending on the type of shift operation.

What is arithmetic right shift in SystemVerilog?

Arithmetic right shift in SystemVerilog is a type of right shift operation that preserves the sign of the number being shifted. This means that when shifting a negative number, 1s are inserted at the vacant bit positions instead of 0s.

What are some common applications of shift bits in SystemVerilog?

Shift bits in SystemVerilog are commonly used in digital design to manipulate binary numbers, such as multiplication and division by powers of 2, extracting specific bits from a number, and shifting data in and out of registers.