How Can I Calculate Flow Pressure Drop in a Two-Dimensional Diffuser?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the flow pressure drop in a two-dimensional diffuser using the mass flow at the inlet and Bernoulli's equation. The fluid is air at a temperature of 373K and the person is asking for recommendations on fluid mechanics books to use.
me_ia
Hey!
I need to calculate the flow pressure drop inside a two dimensional diffuser (please see image below).
nozzle.jpg

The average flow velocity at the inlet is 0.095 m/s.
The fluid is air at a temperature T=373K .

I can't find any close model at any fluid dynamics handbook.

Does anyone know how can I calculate this?

I will highly appreciate any kind of help!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The schematic is not very helpful, at least for me. Can you make a new, more clear one?

I hope this is clearer:

nozzle.jpg

Much more clear now. You have the Mass flow at the inlet which should be equal to the mass flow at the outlet.
Q(in) = Q (out). From this you can compute the outflow velocity (and you already have the inflow velocity).
Then, provided the flow is incompressible, you have Bernulli's equation to calculate the pressure drop...
Which fluid mechanics book do you use?

I will do so... thanks very much!

Which fluid mechanics book did you say you use?

I use non at the moment, do you recommend a specific book?

I asked because I found it quite strange what you said that you can't find any similar example at any fluid dynamics handbook...
I would recommend the book Fluid Mechanics by Kundu and Cohen or the Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics by Munson.

Related to How Can I Calculate Flow Pressure Drop in a Two-Dimensional Diffuser?

1. What is a diffuser?

A diffuser is a device that is used to slow down and spread out the flow of a fluid, typically a gas, in order to reduce its velocity and increase its pressure.

2. How does a diffuser affect pressure loss?

A diffuser increases pressure by reducing the fluid's velocity. However, there is still some pressure loss due to friction and other factors.

3. What causes pressure loss over a diffuser?

Pressure loss over a diffuser is primarily caused by friction between the fluid and the walls of the diffuser, as well as the change in velocity and direction of the fluid flow.

4. How is pressure loss over a diffuser calculated?

The pressure loss over a diffuser can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid's velocity, density, and the cross-sectional area of the diffuser.

5. Can pressure loss over a diffuser be reduced?

While some pressure loss over a diffuser is inevitable, it can be reduced by using a diffuser with a larger cross-sectional area, smoothing out the diffuser's walls to reduce friction, and optimizing the shape and design of the diffuser. Additionally, using a fluid with lower viscosity can also help reduce pressure loss.