How can conformal mapping be used to convert curves between different maps?

In summary: Then you could use the following equation to convert between the two coordinate systems:##\cos(\theta) = \frac{1}{t}##This answer is too much interesting! But, it doesn't the answer that I'm looking for...
Bruno Tolentino
I know the concepts of conformal mapping and complex mapping but I didn’t see none explanation about how apply this ideia and formula for convert a curve, or a function, between different maps.

Look this illustration…

Duvida.png

In the Cartesian map, I basically drew a liner function f(x) = ax+b (defined by part). Which would be the graph curve and the algebraic expression equivalent in the polar map and log-polar map?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you define ##f## properly and simply transform the coordinates?

##(x,f(x)) = (\sqrt{x^2+f(x)^2}, \arccos \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+f(x)^2}}) = (\log \sqrt{x^2+f(x)^2}, \arccos \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+f(x)^2}})##

fresh_42 said:
Why don't you define ##f## properly and simply transform the coordinates?

##(x,f(x)) = (\sqrt{x^2+f(x)^2}, \arccos \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+f(x)^2}}) = (\log \sqrt{x^2+f(x)^2}, \arccos \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+f(x)^2}})##

Because I want (actually, I need, due the technical difficulties) to express ##r = r(\theta)##

EDIT: I can't to express an implicit funcion in polar or log polar mode...

Radius and angle are related by ##\cos θ = \frac{x}{r}## or ##\sin θ = \frac{f(x)}{r}## and ##r = \sqrt{x^2 + f(x)^2}.## Of course you will have to keep an eye on signs, resp. the range of the angle. In the logarithmic version in my understanding only the radius will be affected, i.e. the coordinate becomes ##\log (r)##
Maybe I didn't get what you meant.

Bruno Tolentino said:
EDIT: I can't to express an implicit funcion in polar or log polar mode...
You don't express functions in "polar mode", implicit or not. You can only express points in coordinates.
Therefore you write ##(x,y) = (x,f(x))## or ##(x,y) = (r(x,y), θ(x,y))##. A function expresses how a value ##y = f(x)## varies if ##x## does. The ##x-##axis is already an interpretation and a graph ##(x,f(x))## a visualization.

##r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}## ... ##(y = ax+b)##

##r = \sqrt{x^2 + (a x + b)^2}## ... ##(x = r \cos(\theta))##

##r = \sqrt{(r \cos(\theta))^2 + (a (r \cos(\theta)) + b)^2}##

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=r+=+sqrt((r+cos(t))²+++(a+r+cos(t)+++b)²)+solve+for+r

"r = sqrt((r cos(t))² + (a r cos(t) + b)²) solve for r"

solutions:

##r = - \frac{b}{a \cos(t) - \sin(t)}##

##r = - \frac{b}{a \cos(t) + \sin(t)}##

ploting:

final.png

So...

This answer is, of course, too much interesting! But, it doesn't the answer that I'm looking for...

I want that the straight of the Cartesian map becomes a curve in the polar and log polar mapping.

Last edited:
No more answers??

Bruno Tolentino said:
Because I want (actually, I need, due the technical difficulties) to express ##r = r(\theta)##
In general, that can not be done. There can be many r values associated with the same ##\theta## value. In the example you give, if the origin is at the center point of the first diagram, then there are entire path segments with the same ##\theta## value.

Paths should be parameterized using a separate parameter, t, in [0,1].

Related to How can conformal mapping be used to convert curves between different maps?

1. What is a curve under conformal mapping?

A curve under conformal mapping is a mathematical concept that describes the transformation of a curve on a surface under a conformal mapping. A conformal mapping preserves angles and locally preserves the shape of the curve, but can distort its size and position on the surface.

2. How is a curve under conformal mapping different from a regular curve?

A regular curve is defined purely in terms of its geometric properties, such as length, curvature, and position. A curve under conformal mapping takes into account the surface on which it is mapped and how the surface distorts the curve's properties.

3. What are some common examples of conformal mappings?

Some common examples of conformal mappings include stereographic projection, Mercator projection, and the mapping of curves on a sphere to curves on a plane.

4. Why are conformal mappings important in mathematics and science?

Conformal mappings are important because they allow us to study complex curves and surfaces in a simpler and more understandable way. They also have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. How are conformal mappings used in real-world applications?

Conformal mappings have various real-world applications, such as in fluid dynamics, where they can be used to study the flow of fluids around curved objects. They are also used in cartography for creating accurate maps, and in computer graphics for creating realistic images of 3D objects.