How Can Complex Analysis Be Used to Sum Powers of Sine Functions?

In summary, the sum of $\sin^3x+sin^32x+sin^33x+sin^34x+...+sin^3nx$ can be found using complex analysis by applying the identities $\displaystyle \sin^{3} \alpha = \frac{3\ \sin \alpha - \sin 3\ \alpha}{4}$ and $\displaystyle \sin \alpha = \frac{e^{i\ \alpha} - e^{- i\ \alpha}}{2\ i}$. This will result in a formula with multiple summations and exponentials, which can then be simplified to find the final sum.
Suvadip
How to find the sum using complex analysis
\(\displaystyle sin^3x+sin^32x+sin^33x+sin^34x+...+sin^3nx\)

Physics news on Phys.org
suvadip said:
How to find the sum using complex analysis
\(\displaystyle sin^3x+sin^32x+sin^33x+sin^34x+...+sin^3nx\)

Using the identities $\displaystyle \sin^{3} \alpha = \frac{3\ \sin \alpha - \sin 3\ \alpha}{4}$ and $\displaystyle \sin \alpha = \frac{e^{i\ \alpha} - e^{- i\ \alpha}}{2\ i}$ You have...

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} \sin^{3} k\ x = \frac{3}{8\ i} (\sum_{k=1}^{n} e^{k\ i\ x} - \sum_{k=1}^{n} e^{- k\ i\ x}) - \frac{1}{8\ i}\ ( \sum_{k=1}^{n} e^{3\ k\ i\ x} - \sum_{k=1}^{n} e^{- 3\ k\ i\ x}) =$$\displaystyle = \frac{3}{8\ i}\ (e^{i\ x}\ \frac{1 - e^{n\ i\ x}}{1 - e^{i\ x}} - e^{- i\ x}\ \frac{1 - e^{- n\ i\ x}}{1- e^{- i\ x}}) - \frac{1}{8\ i}\ (e^{3\ i\ x}\ \frac{1 - e^{3\ n\ i\ x}}{1 - e^{3\ i\ x}} - e^{- 3\ i\ x}\ \frac{1 - e^{- 3\ n\ i\ x}}{1- e^{- 3\ i\ x}})$

Are You able to proceed?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

Related to How Can Complex Analysis Be Used to Sum Powers of Sine Functions?

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It is a valuable tool in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and statistics.

2. How is complex analysis used in summing series?

Complex analysis allows us to manipulate and evaluate infinite series in a more efficient way by using complex functions and theorems. This enables us to sum certain types of series that would be difficult or impossible to sum using traditional methods.

3. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis for summing series?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis for summing series include the Cauchy integral theorem, the residue theorem, and contour integration. These techniques involve using complex functions and the properties of analytic functions to evaluate complex integrals and sums.

4. What is the significance of summing series using complex analysis?

The significance of summing series using complex analysis lies in its ability to provide exact solutions to problems that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also allows for the generalization of traditional methods for summing series, making it a powerful and versatile tool in mathematics and science.

5. Are there any real-world applications of summing series using complex analysis?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of summing series using complex analysis, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in signal processing to analyze and filter signals, and in circuit analysis to calculate the response of electrical circuits. It is also used in statistics to calculate probabilities and in finance to model and predict market trends.