How Can a Function from Real Numbers to a Discrete Space Be Continuous?

In summary: However, this is not something we can solve for you.Your suggestion is to consider a different function which might work. However, you do not know how to do this. You need to think more about your problem.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Find ##f:R \to X##, f-continuous, where X is the discrete space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f is continuous at p if for any ##\epsilon > 0## there is ##\delta >0## such that ##d(f(x),f(p))<\epsilon## for all x such that ##d(x,p)<\delta##. Let ##\epsilon = 1##. As X is the discrete space, only f(p) satisfies ##d(f(x),f(p))<\epsilon##. So for a whole open interval (which becomes closed due to continuity) we have ##f([p-\delta,p+\delta])=f(p)##. From here I can see that only constant functions would work here, but I am not sure how to continue. I was thinking to do the same reasoning at ##f(p+\delta)##, and extend this over the whole R, but if the intervals get smaller and smaller this might not work. How should I continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to continue?
You can formally show that f(x)=f(0) by choosing a suitable interval if you like.

If ##f(x) \neq f(0)##, then you can find at least one point of disconinuity in between.

mfb said:
What do you want to continue?
You can formally show that f(x)=f(0) by choosing a suitable interval if you like.
How can I choose this interval? I don't know how ##\delta## depends on ##\epsilon##. I just know it exists

Silviu said:
How can I choose this interval? I don't know how ##\delta## depends on ##\epsilon##. I just know it exists

For some continuous functions, ##\delta## depends on ##\epsilon##, but for other continuous functions it does not.

Ray Vickson said:
For some continuous functions, ##\delta## depends on ##\epsilon##, but for other continuous functions it does not.
Yes, but in my case I need to consider the most general case. So How do I do?

Silviu said:
Yes, but in my case I need to consider the most general case. So How do I do?

You need to think more about your problem; we are not allowed to solve it for you.

However, here is a hint: what do you mean by a "discrete space"?

Ray Vickson said:
You need to think more about your problem; we are not allowed to solve it for you.

However, here is a hint: what do you mean by a "discrete space"?
That means that ##d(x,y)## is 0 if x=y and 1 otherwise. This is what I used to get a neighborhood of a point that contains just that point and thus an interval from R will be completely sent to that point. I did this. I don't know how to continue from here. I don't want a proof just a suggestion.

Silviu said:
That means that ##d(x,y)## is 0 if x=y and 1 otherwise. This is what I used to get a neighborhood of a point that contains just that point and thus an interval from R will be completely sent to that point. I did this. I don't know how to continue from here. I don't want a proof just a suggestion.

My first thought would be to show that a non-constant function is not continuous.

Related to How Can a Function from Real Numbers to a Discrete Space Be Continuous?

1. What is the difference between continuity and discrete space?

Continuity refers to a space that has no breaks or interruptions, whereas discrete space refers to a space that is made up of distinct and separate points.

2. How do you determine if a space is continuous or discrete?

A space is considered continuous if it can be mapped onto a real number line without any gaps or jumps. A space is considered discrete if it can only be mapped onto a set of distinct points with no in-between values.

3. Can a space be both continuous and discrete?

No, a space cannot be both continuous and discrete at the same time. A space is either continuous or discrete depending on its properties.

4. What are some real-world examples of continuous and discrete spaces?

An example of a continuous space is the surface of a sphere, where there are no breaks or interruptions. An example of a discrete space is a chess board, where each square is a distinct and separate point.

5. How is continuity and discreteness related to the concept of infinity?

Infinity is often associated with continuity, as a continuous space has infinite points between any two points. Discrete space, on the other hand, has a finite number of points, making it easier to conceptualize and work with in terms of infinity.