How a remote controlled car know which button is pressed?

In summary, the pulse code modulation used in modern radio-controlled cars uses a series of pulses to encode the commands sent to the servos. These pulses are then grouped into frames and sent at a rate of 50 per second.
anandzoom
Let us assume a remote controlled car which operates at 2.4GHz frequency band. When the accelerate or left or right turn button is pressed what value changes so that the car detects which button was pressed?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't recall them ever using true Pulse Position Modulation although that is what they call it...

In the early days they used AM radios to send audio tones. These were fed to a device called a reed bank. This was a bit like a relay with a comb on top. The length of each tine was different so it only vibrated if the right audio tone was sent. In this way multiple channels could be decoded out to control different functions.

http://www.rchalloffame.org/Exhibits/Exhibit39/files/BIGfirst-deans-18.jpg.jpg

In the 1960s when I started they used AM radios (typically on the 27MHz band) and the servo or switch position was indicated using pulse length modulation. A 1mS pulse indicated (say) full left, 2mS = full right, 1.5mS = in the middle. These variable length pulses were grouped into frames. A pulse was sent for each channel/servo in turn with a 0.5mS gap between each. Then a longer pulse was sent to indicate the start of a new frame (sync pulse). Frames were sent at about 50 per second. These days people call this Pulse Position Modulation but I think it would be more accurate to call it Pulse Length Modulation. I suppose it is Pulse Position if you look at it from the perspective of the gaps rather than the pulses.

Then came FM radios which still used Pulse Length Modulation.

Then came FM radios which used Pulse Code Modulation. I think the early sets used 8 bits to represent the position of each channel meaning they resolved the control stick position into one of 256 digital values (0-255). That was soon followed by sets using 10 bits/1024 values per channel. PCM sets were typically the first to use microcontrollers to provide additional functions such as mixers (for example for V tail aircraft).

Modern sets are spread spectrum and I think they use QPSK (Quadrature Phase Shift Keying) to send PCM data. I think some also include error correction but I'm a bit out of date.

PPM is still used with modern 2.4GHz transmitters and receivers for powered models. Though the supporting hardware and interface systems have changed hugely over the years, the basic standard for controlling servos has not. There have been speed options added to the PPM interface to improve response and reduce lag, but most servos are backward compatible. They can still take the old standard 50Hz signal even though they can support higher frequencies.

What's changed for the most part is how the transmitter interfaces with the receiver. That is not backward compatible. These days you have to buy a transmitter and receiver as a matched set then do a "bind" procedure to mate them. This is contrary to older systems where any transmitter would work with any receiver. The reason modern transmitters operate this way is to remove any possibility of the receiver responding to signals from another transmitter on the same frequency. Prior to that it was necessary to for operators to coordinate frequency usage with a removable crystal in the transmitter. That was to eliminate interference when more than one model was in operation. People sometimes made mistakes and then a model would go off out of control. That's no longer a concern and it's pretty much idiot proof now.

Related to How a remote controlled car know which button is pressed?

1. How does a remote controlled car know which button is pressed?

The remote control sends a signal to the car's receiver, which is programmed to receive and interpret specific codes for each button. When a button is pressed, the corresponding code is sent and the receiver activates the corresponding function on the car.

2. What type of technology is used in a remote controlled car to detect button presses?

Most remote controlled cars use radio frequency (RF) technology for communication between the remote and the car. Some may also use infrared (IR) technology, which uses light signals instead of radio waves.

3. How does the remote control communicate with the car's receiver?

The remote control and car's receiver are both equipped with a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter on the remote sends out radio waves or light signals, which are received by the receiver on the car. The receiver then interprets the signals and activates the corresponding functions on the car.

4. Can the remote controlled car be controlled by multiple remotes at the same time?

Most remote controlled cars can only be paired with one specific remote control at a time. However, some advanced models may allow for multiple remotes to be paired and used simultaneously, usually by using different frequency channels.

5. Is it possible for the remote control to be accidentally paired with another car?

Some remote controlled cars use a unique pairing code to prevent accidental pairing with other cars. However, if the remote and car are not equipped with this feature, it is possible for the remote to accidentally control a different car if they are in close proximity.