Homotopy Extension Property

• Thread starter madness
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the identification space of a unit square and the construction of a homeomorphism using circles. It also explores the relationship between homeomorphic spaces and homotopy equivalence, and the concept of a map extending to a disk. The goal is to prove that a based loop is homotopic rel{(1,0)} to a constant based loop if and only if it extends to a based map on the disk.
madness

Homework Statement

(i) Let [tex] A= (I\times I)/J[/tex] be the identification space of the unit square in which all points in the subspace [tex]J=(I\times \left\{1\right\})\cup(\left\{0,1\right\}\times I)[/tex] are identified. Use the circles [tex] C_t=\left\{(x,y)\in D^2|(x-t)^2+y^2=(1-t)^2 , t\in I\right\} [/tex] to construct a homeomorphism [tex] f:A \rightarrow D^2 [/tex] such that [tex] f[s,0]=(\cos 2\pi s,\sin 2\pi s), f[J]=(1,0),f[I\times \left\{t\right\}]=C_t [/tex]

(ii) Regard [tex]S^1[/tex] as the identification space of I in which the points [tex] \left\{ 0,1 \right\} [/tex] are identified via the homeomorphism [tex] I/{\lef\t{ 0,1 \right\} } \rightarrow S^1 ; \rightarrow (\cos2 \pi s, \sin 2\pi s) [/tex]. Use (i) to prove that a based loop [tex] \omega: (S^1,(1,0)) \rightarrow (X,x) [/tex] is homotopic rel{(1,0)} to the constant based loop [tex] e_x: (S^1,(1,0) \rightarrow (X,x) [/tex] if and only if [tex] \omega [/tex] extends to a based map [tex] \Omega : (D^2,(1,0)) \rightarrow (X,x) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) The space A is the square with 3 sides identified to a point. The suggested homeomorphism maps the remaining side to the circle [tex] S^1 [/tex] and all other horizontal lines to circles centred at (t,0). Choose [tex] f[s,t] = (1-t)(\cos2 \pi s +t,\sin2\pi s) [/tex]. This satisfies the first and third of the conditions required in (i), but I'm not sure about the second. I'm not sure if the question requires a proof that this is a homeomorphism.

(ii) I'm not sure about this part. Homeomorphic spaces are automatically homotopy equivalent. We can consider a loop [tex] \omega[/tex] as a function [tex] \alpha (t) = \omega (\cos 2\pi t, \sin 2 \pi t), \alpha (0) = \alpha(1) =x) [/tex] since the loop is based at x. So I think if I show that it has to extend to a map on the space A given above then it automatically has to extend to a map on the disk.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can no-one help with this one? I'm wondering what they mean by saying that the map "extends" to the disk. The homotopy given by considering the loop as a line with equal end-points is a map on the (identification space of) square, which I might try to relate to the disk in (i) through homeomorphism.

Looks like that is exactly what you should try. "Extends" means that there is a continuous map of pointed spaces [tex]\Omega: (D^2, (1, 0)) \to (X, x))[/tex] such that [tex]\Omega[/tex] restricts to [tex]\omega[/tex] on [tex]S^1[/tex]: [tex]\Omega|_{S^1} = \omega[/tex].

Your map does not satisfy the second condition in part (i): J contains the points (s,1) for all s, and your map takes all of these to (0,0). I think you are on the right track though. But you will need to show that this is a homeomorphism to answer the question fully.

Related to Homotopy Extension Property

1. What is a homotopy?

A homotopy is a continuous deformation between two mathematical objects, such as curves or spaces. It can be thought of as a way to continuously transform one object into another without tearing or gluing them together.

2. What makes a homotopy question difficult?

A homotopy question can be considered difficult if it involves complex mathematical concepts or requires advanced knowledge and techniques to solve. It may also be difficult if it is not well-defined or has multiple possible interpretations.

3. How is a difficult homotopy question typically approached?

A difficult homotopy question is typically approached by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts and using various mathematical tools and techniques to solve each part. It may also involve using computer simulations or proofs to assist with the solution.

4. Are there any real-world applications for homotopy questions?

Yes, homotopy theory has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it is used in the study of topological insulators and in the design of efficient algorithms for data analysis.

5. Is there a limit to the difficulty of a homotopy question?

There is no limit to the difficulty of a homotopy question as it ultimately depends on the complexity of the mathematical objects involved and the level of knowledge and expertise of the person attempting to solve it. However, with persistence and the right approach, even the most difficult homotopy questions can be solved.