Homework Help Pulley, Tension, Mass, Angle

In summary, for this homework assignment, the task is to create a force diagram using the uploaded picture. This involves breaking down angled forces into components and identifying equal forces using equality. The masses for this diagram are 2, 3, 4, and 5 kgs. Additionally, equations for the vertical and horizontal forces must be written, and the tension must be determined. To complete this assignment, free-body diagrams for each node must be drawn, along with the tensions at the nodes of the ropes. It is important to consider all constraints on the system and to provide a complete and accurate representation of the forces acting on each mass.
nrv07

Homework Statement

Using the uploaded picture we have to have a force diagram. And we have to break angled forces into components and indicate which forces are equal with equality. All the masses are up to me (2, 3, 4, 5 kgs)

Homework Equations

Write an equation for the vertical forces
Write an equation for the horizontal forces
Determine the tension I hope someone can help me I am seriously confused!

Attachments

• Pulley mass! PDF.pdf
    76.3 KB · Views: 238
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with free-body diagrams for each of the nodes.
You also need to write down the other constraints on the system - what you have written is incomplete.
i.e. if the masses are up to you, then imagine the far right mass is 1000000kg and all the rest are 1g.

Welcome to PF! Draw the forces acting on each mass. Also draw the tensions at the nodes of the ropes. Show your picture, but not as PDF file.

Related to Homework Help Pulley, Tension, Mass, Angle

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift or move objects. It consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference, and a rope or belt that wraps around the wheel. When one end of the rope is pulled, the object on the other end is lifted.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by changing the direction of the force applied to an object. When the rope is pulled down, the object is lifted up. The more pulleys that are used in a system, the easier it is to lift heavy objects.

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a rope, wire, or any other type of flexible material. It is a pulling force that is exerted on both ends of the material.

How does mass affect pulley systems?

The mass of an object affects the amount of force needed to lift it using a pulley system. The heavier the object, the more force is needed to lift it. This is because the weight of the object creates a greater downward force, which must be countered by an equal upward force.

How does the angle of the rope affect a pulley system?

The angle of the rope affects the mechanical advantage of a pulley system. The larger the angle, the more force is needed to lift an object. This is because a larger angle results in a smaller amount of the force being used to lift the object, while the rest of the force is used to pull the rope in a horizontal direction.