High Frequency Versus Low Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of frequency and its relationship to sound and wavelength. The formula for frequency is provided, and it is explained that the smaller the period, the higher the frequency. The example of yelling into a pipe and calculating the time it takes for the sound to travel a distance is given. However, it is clarified that this calculation has nothing to do with the frequency and wavelength of the sound. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to learn more about frequency from an external source.
GGalaxy
Please correct me if I am wrong in anything below, including clauses.

i was trying to find a simple explanation for the frequency and i come up with this ,
1)
Frequency (Hertz(or s^-1)) = 1/ T (Seconds)
F = 1/T => T (seconds) = 1/ F(s^-1)

2)
"Place A" is 338 Kilometers away from "Place B", imagine if you say something out-lowed (yelling) in a pipe , let's say for example "Hello" and we channel a pipe between "A" and "B" and i wait for your Hello to be listened , knowing that the human voice's frequency ranges in 75–150 Hz for men and 150–300 Hz for women, so let's say, you have 150 Hz,in how many minutes, I'm going to receive your Hello?

- Solution :

The smaller the period, the higher the frequency and the bigger the period, the lower the frequency, meaning the more you yell the more the frequency reduces => it will last longer.?

F=1/T => T = 1/F, and Lambda = Velocity / Frequency,
Lambda = wavelength
Velocity = the speed (the way we are going to travel your hello to me, i am going to use the speed of sound in air = 340 meter/sec)
Frequency = 150 Hz
Application :
340 meter ===> 1 sec
338 000 meter ==> x sec
==> x (sec) = 338 000 / 340 = 995 sec = 17 minutes , so it will take 17 minutes for me to hear your Hello, and that if i use the sound speed, if i use the light speed its going to be in just few seconds.
AND I DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT FREQUENCY IS REALLY MEAN, PLEASE GIVE A SHORT EXAMPLE,
i mean i understand how to calculate, but i don't understand what it is i am calculatingThank You guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You computed the time it takes the sound to travel 338 km. Your result is correct.

However, that has nothing to do with the frequency and wavelength of the sound.

voko said:
You computed the time it takes the sound to travel 338 km. Your result is correct.

However, that has nothing to do with the frequency and wavelength of the sound.

so the sound has nothing to do with the human's voice?

GGalaxy said:
so the sound has nothing to do with the human's voice?

I did not say that. I said frequency and wavelength are irrelevant for your problem.

When you throw a rock into a pond ripples are created. These ripples travel across the surface of the water.

The frequency of the ripples is the number of ripples that go past a point in one second.

What you calculated was the time for the first ripple to reach the side of the pond.

Thank you Guys, I'm looking forward to find a good explanation for the Frequency

Related to High Frequency Versus Low Frequency

1. What is the difference between high frequency and low frequency?

High frequency refers to a wave or signal that oscillates at a faster rate, typically above 20,000 Hz. Low frequency, on the other hand, refers to a wave or signal that oscillates at a slower rate, typically below 20 Hz.

2. How do high frequency and low frequency affect the human body?

High frequency waves, such as radio waves, are generally considered safe for the human body. However, prolonged exposure to high frequency electromagnetic radiation, such as from cell phones, may have health effects. Low frequency waves, such as those from power lines, have also been linked to potential health risks, but more research is needed to fully understand their impact on the human body.

3. Which type of frequency is used in wireless communication?

High frequency waves, specifically radio waves, are used in wireless communication. These waves are able to travel long distances and penetrate obstacles, making them ideal for communication purposes.

4. How are high frequency and low frequency used in scientific research?

High frequency waves are used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy and spectroscopy, to study and analyze the properties of objects and materials. Low frequency waves are often used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to visualize internal structures in the body.

5. Is high frequency or low frequency better for data transmission?

It depends on the specific application and the desired outcome. High frequency waves have a higher bandwidth, meaning they can transmit more data at once, but they also have a shorter range. Low frequency waves have a lower bandwidth, but they can travel longer distances, making them more suitable for certain types of data transmission, such as radio broadcasting.