Help with Understanding Global Warming Graph

• Thread starter Nooj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses a debate with a global warming skeptic who presents a graph showing temperature data from the last 2000 years. The skeptic claims that temperatures have risen faster and by greater numbers in the past than the current anthropogenic warming. The speaker is unsure of the validity of this claim and is seeking clarification. They also inquire about the use of data from the Southern Hemisphere and express skepticism towards a website that presents paleoclimate data with anti-global warming views. The conversation also touches on the use of air and ice data from past periods.
Nooj
I'm debating with a global warming skeptic, and I'm pretty new at this. He's pulled http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/last_2000_yrs.html" graph showing the temperature from the last 2000 years and said that temperatures have previously risen faster and by greater numbers than the current anthropogenic warming. I'm not sure if this claim is true, so I was hoping someone could help me with this.

I was wondering if someone could also tell me if climate scientists usually use data sets from the Southern Hemisphere. I read that scientists use the North Hemisphere mean because there are larger sets of proxy data there (such as tree rings etc). Something doesn't quite feel right about the website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I can't comment on the data used there, but temperatures have risen faster and by greater numbers in the past.

You are right to be skeptical of the site though, at first glance is seems to only be presenting paleoclimate data, but here and there are sprinkles of text which seem to have a common theme of being anti-global warming. The contents of some of this text is incorrect or misleading, and there is enough of it to make me think the site has a hidden agenda.

Data from the Southern Hemisphere? What would be wrong with that as opposed to Northern? Andre I recall created an interesting graph showing a fairly flat line best fit line for data sets from the southern hemisphere, and a nice rise in the best fit line for data sets from the northern hemisphere.

What does "air data" mean? He didn't collect air from 2000 years ago and check it did he? if it were gas isotope ratio stats from the cores then "ice data" would be good enough, wouldn't it?

Related to Help with Understanding Global Warming Graph

What is global warming?

Global warming refers to the long-term increase in Earth's average temperature due to human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation. This results in the trapping of heat in the atmosphere, leading to changes in climate patterns.

How is global warming measured?

Global warming is measured by tracking the average global temperature over time through the use of temperature records from land, sea, and air measurements. Scientists also analyze various indicators such as melting ice, rising sea levels, and changing weather patterns to understand the impact of global warming.

What does the global warming graph show?

The global warming graph shows the long-term trend of the Earth's average temperature over time. It typically shows an upward trend, indicating an increase in global temperatures. The graph may also include data on other indicators of global warming, such as carbon dioxide levels and sea level rise.

How can I interpret the global warming graph?

The global warming graph can be interpreted by understanding the trend in the data. If the graph shows a steady increase in global temperatures over time, it indicates a significant impact of human activities on the Earth's climate. It is also essential to look at other factors such as carbon emissions and sea level rise to gain a better understanding of the impact of global warming.

What can we do to address global warming?

To address global warming, we can take several actions at individual, community, and government levels. These include reducing our carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources, conserving energy, and adopting sustainable practices. It is also crucial for governments to implement policies and regulations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote sustainable development.