Help with Remote Sensing Finals: Spatial Res., Radiometric Res., Resampling

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle to study for a remote sensing final after being injured in a car accident. They ask three questions related to spatial and radiometric resolution of images and resampling. The mentor suggests asking the professor and classmates for help and provides some resources for further understanding. The conversation also mentions the benefits of coarse resolution images, the increase in radiometric resolution for Landsat 8, and the importance of resampling for image quality.
ChrisKooij
hey guys,
I'm in a serious pickle, its finals week and I have a final for remote sensing coming up. I was recently hit by a car riding my bike to school and have struggled studying for this final. I feel like I have a grasp on the main concepts of the course but am reaching out to any experts who might help me clarify some questions that I have.

1. My first question has to do with spatial resolution of images. obviously finer resolution images have a lot of benefits, but what are the benefits of coarse resolution imagery besides the lower amount of data? I remember my teacher talking about looking at tank tracks during the Persian Gulf War when he worked for the government. He said that the coarser resolution imagery was better for finding the tank positions along the border, WHY?

2. Please describe radiometric resolution. Why is having more a better thing? Compare the difference in radiometric resolution from the Landsat legacy sensors (4, 5, 7) to the new Landsat 8 sensor and describe in detail the differences between the two systems. What does the increase in radiometric resolution for Landsat 8 allow you to do differently regarding remote sensing applications

3. The last question is about resampling of imagery based on differences in resolution. I know that you should always resample based on the higher resolution imagery but I am having a hard time articulating exactly why.

<Mentor's note: Moved into General Physics due to the generality of the question, and the absence of qualities like specific equations to match our homework forum.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would ask your prof some or all of these questions. I know it seems strange but he or she may answer specially if they were mentioned in class.

Also connect with your classmates to see if anyone can provide some insight.

You’ll get a much faster response than from here.

I think with the tank tracks they would appear as a line in a coarser image. Think of editing an image if you zoom in way too far you’ll see blocky pixels and can’t determine any features but as you zoom out you start to recognize things at that scale.

This article talks about it a bit.

https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/about/

Likes berkeman
Last edited:

Related to Help with Remote Sensing Finals: Spatial Res., Radiometric Res., Resampling

What is remote sensing?

Remote sensing is the process of gathering information about an object or area without physically touching it. This is typically done through the use of satellites, aircrafts, or drones equipped with sensors that collect data on various characteristics such as temperature, elevation, and reflectance.

What is spatial resolution in remote sensing?

Spatial resolution refers to the level of detail that can be captured by a remote sensing instrument. It is determined by the size of the smallest object that can be detected and represented in an image. Higher spatial resolution means more detail can be seen in an image, while lower spatial resolution results in a more generalized view.

What is radiometric resolution in remote sensing?

Radiometric resolution refers to the sensitivity of a remote sensing instrument to detect different levels of energy. In simpler terms, it determines how well an instrument can distinguish between objects with varying reflectance values. Higher radiometric resolution allows for more precise measurements and better discrimination between features in an image.

What is resampling in remote sensing?

Resampling is the process of changing the spatial resolution of an image through interpolation. This is often necessary when combining images with different resolutions or when converting images to a different projection. Resampling can result in a loss of information and should be used carefully to avoid distortion of the original data.

How is remote sensing used in different fields?

Remote sensing has a wide range of applications in various fields such as agriculture, urban planning, environmental monitoring, and disaster management. It can be used to monitor crop health, map land use changes, track natural disasters, and much more. Its non-invasive nature allows for large-scale data collection and analysis, making it a valuable tool in many industries.