Help with relativity [relativistic rocket]

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with writing a story involving a spaceship traveling to a star 10 light years away. The discussion revolves around determining the proper time and time as perceived by people on Earth, with suggestions to refer to an online resource and perform a Google search.
billdrix
I'm over my head and need help for a story I am writing. I would like the science to be correct. I'm not sure I'm even phrasing the problem correctly, but here goes.

Suppose a spaceship will travel to a star that appears 10 light years from earth. The spaceship will accelerate at 0.1 g (as experienced by the ship) for half the trip then turn around and accelerate the opposite rest of the time. What would be the integrals for determining the proper time and the time as it appears to people on earth?

Thanks

Billdrix

Physics news on Phys.org
This page on the http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html is just what you need. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. It appears that I'll have to cheat. :(

I just realized that page just shows the results of doing the integral, not the integral itself. I'm sure it's been discussed here before. Try the following Google search:

"relativistic rocket" integral site:physicsforums.com

and poke around in the old threads that this turns up. To broaden the search outside of PF, leave off the site:physicsforums.com bit.

Related to Help with relativity [relativistic rocket]

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how time, space, and gravity are connected and how they can be affected by the motion of objects.

2. How does relativity apply to rocket propulsion?

Relativity applies to rocket propulsion because as a rocket moves through space, it experiences changes in time, space, and gravity due to its high speeds. These changes can affect the rocket's velocity and trajectory.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time for objects moving at a constant velocity, while general relativity extends this to include acceleration and gravity.

4. How does time dilation affect a relativistic rocket?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by relativity in which time moves slower for objects moving at high speeds. This means that a rocket traveling at close to the speed of light will experience time passing slower than a stationary observer, leading to a longer journey time for the rocket.

5. Can relativity be applied to objects other than rockets?

Yes, relativity can be applied to any object that is moving at high speeds or experiencing strong gravitational forces. This includes objects in space, such as planets and stars, as well as objects on Earth, like airplanes and satellites.