Help with Ray Diagrams for Lens and Mirror Systems

In summary, you will need to draw ray diagrams for both the two lens system and the lens and mirror system, using the focal lengths and distances provided, in order to understand how the rays interact and form images. Good luck on your midterm!
Dewfus
hello,

my professer has been getting us to draw ray diagrams of two lens systems and diagrams of a lens and mirror system.

these are two situations that i can not seem to figure out for my self

two lens system :

diverging lens to converging lens
(pictures would be ideal)

diverging lens focal length - 50mm
converging lens focal length - 25mm
distance apart - 20mm

he has said we shouldn't have to do any calculations to be able to draw the principle rays

lens and mirror system:
diverging lens to a concave mirror
do the rays go back through the lens

just the general idea of how the rays react for the lens a mirror system would be appreciated

PLZ HELP! Midterm Tuesday!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the two lens system, you will need to draw a ray diagram. Start by drawing a line between the two lenses to represent the optical axis. Then draw arrows to represent the principal rays for each lens. The principal rays for the diverging lens are drawn from the focal point on the left side of the lens and the principal rays for the converging lens are drawn from the focal point on the right side. When the rays intersect, they form an image.For the lens and mirror system, you will need to draw a ray diagram as well. The principal rays for the diverging lens should be drawn from the focal point on the left side of the lens and should then be reflected off the mirror and back through the lens before forming an image.

Related to Help with Ray Diagrams for Lens and Mirror Systems

1. How do I draw a ray diagram for a convex lens?

To draw a ray diagram for a convex lens, follow these steps:

1. Draw a horizontal line representing the principal axis of the lens.
  2. Place the lens on the principal axis with its center at the origin.
  3. Draw two parallel rays from the top and bottom of the object, passing through the center of the lens.
  4. Draw a third ray from the top of the object, parallel to the principal axis.
  5. The point where these three rays intersect is the image of the object.

2. How do I draw a ray diagram for a concave lens?

To draw a ray diagram for a concave lens, follow these steps:

1. Draw a horizontal line representing the principal axis of the lens.
  2. Place the lens on the principal axis with its center at the origin.
  3. Draw two parallel rays from the top and bottom of the object, passing through the center of the lens.
  4. Draw a third ray from the top of the object, towards the center of the lens, and then parallel to the principal axis.

3. How do I draw a ray diagram for a concave mirror?

To draw a ray diagram for a concave mirror, follow these steps:

1. Draw a vertical line representing the principal axis of the mirror.
  2. Place the mirror on the principal axis with its center at the origin.
  3. Draw two parallel rays from the top and bottom of the object, reflecting off the mirror and passing through the focal point.
  4. Draw a third ray from the top of the object, towards the center of the mirror, and then parallel to the principal axis.

4. How do I draw a ray diagram for a convex mirror?

To draw a ray diagram for a convex mirror, follow these steps:

1. Draw a vertical line representing the principal axis of the mirror.
  2. Place the mirror on the principal axis with its center at the origin.
  3. Draw two parallel rays from the top and bottom of the object, reflecting off the mirror and moving away from the focal point.
  4. Draw a third ray from the top of the object, towards the center of the mirror, and then parallel to the principal axis.

5. What is the difference between a real and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when rays of light actually converge at a specific point, while a virtual image is formed when the rays of light only appear to be coming from a specific point, but do not actually converge. A real image can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image cannot be projected. Additionally, a real image is always inverted, while a virtual image can be either upright or inverted.