Help with probability problem: Probability that one random Gaussian event will happen before another one

In summary, this conversation discusses the probability of atom A emitting a photon before atom B based on their respective probability distributions. Various approaches are considered, including integrating over the entire time interval and only up to a certain time. It is ultimately determined that the probability can be calculated by integrating over the diagonal half plane where t_A < t_B, with the assumption that the random variables t_A and t_B are independent. The result can be found using normal distribution tables.
Capitano
TL;DR Summary
Probability that one random gaussian event will happen before another one.
For concretness I'll use atoms and photons but this problem is actually just about probabilities.

There's an atom A whose probability to emit a photon between times t and t+dt is given by a gaussian distribution probability P_A centered around time T_A with variance V_A. There's a similar atom B described by a gaussian distribution P_B, but centered around T_B with variance V_B. Once they emit one photon, the process stops. What is the probability atom A will emit a photon before atom B? My attempt was something like this:

First, I ask a slightly different question. I start with the probability that A will emit a photon and B will not, between t and t+dt. That should be just

(P_A) x (1-P_B) x dt

since we require that A emits during that interval but not B. Now, my first idea now is to just integrate this expression from -infty to +infty, but I feel that's like demanding that in order for P_A to emit at some time, P_B needs to never emit during the whole time, which is not necessary. Another idea was to integrate up to a time t_f and then integrate over that time to infinity, but I'm not sure about that either

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the decays are independent of each other then you can write the joint probability distribution as $$P(t_A,t_B)= P_A(t_A)\ P_B(t_B)$$ So then to calculate the probability that ##t_A<t_B## we integrate over the diagonal half plane where ##t_A<t_B## as follows $$ \int_{-\infty}^{t_B}P(t_A,t_B)\ dt_A$$ or equivalently $$ \int_{t_A}^{\infty}P(t_A,t_B)\ dt_B$$

Thanks for your answer! I am a bit confused about the free parameter that remains on the integral. For example, on your first expression, the result depends on t_B in the end. Does that mean "the probability that event A will happen first in the time interval from -infty to t_B"? I'd like to find out what's the probability that A happens first, without any free parameters in the end, just considering all the time interval. Is that possible?

Thanks again!

I am a little confused by some things in your problem statement, but here is my two cents based on how I interpreted your question:
##t_A-t_B## is a Gausian random variable with a mean ##T_{t_A}-T_{t_B}## (I think that it is the times that are random variables with a mean and variance) and a variance ##V_{t_A} + V_{t_B} + 2 cov(t_A,t_B)##. I assume that the random variables, ##t_A## and ##t_B## are independent, so ##cov(t_A,t_B)=0##. You are asking for the probability that ##t_A-t_B \lt 0##. You should be able to use the normal distribution tables to look up the probabilities you need.

• Informative
Likes PeroK and Dale
Capitano said:
I'd like to find out what's the probability that A happens first, without any free parameters in the end, just considering all the time interval. Is that possible?
Oops, you are right. I forgot the second integral:

integrate over the diagonal half plane where ##t_A<t_B## as follows $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{t_B}P(t_A,t_B)\ dt_A \right) dt_B$$ or equivalently $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left(\int_{t_A}^{\infty}P(t_A,t_B)\ dt_B \right) dt_A$$

For two normally distributed random variables the result should be as @FactChecker describes

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd and PeroK