Help with finite element program I developed for Diff Eqns

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a finite element program in Java for solving partial differential equations. The program is facing a problem with a generalized eigenvalue problem generated in wave propagation through a rectangular waveguide in TE mode. The program is producing correct results without specifying Dirichlet boundary conditions, but the field plots are different when the boundary conditions are applied. The program uses nodal based rectangular elements and a mesh generated in a flash program called Mmesh. More information, such as plots, will be needed to help solve the problem.
mdn
I developed finite element program (MFEM) in java for BVP &IVP to compute partial differential equation.
I am facing one problem and description is as follows
my problem is on generalized eigenvalue problem generated in wave propagation through rectangular wave guide in TE mode. (Differential equation is scalar Helmholtz equation).

I am getting correct answer but without specifying Dirichlet boundary condition! (Tangential component of electric field should be zero on boundary element).
and if i applied boundary condition, getting same answer but field plot is different .
one thing i used nodal based rectangular element and mesh generated in my own flash program Mmesh.

please help me to solve above problem.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mdn said:
I developed finite element program (MFEM) in java for BVP &IVP to compute partial differential equation.
I am facing one problem and description is as follows
my problem is on generalized eigenvalue problem generated in wave propagation through rectangular wave guide in TE mode. (Differential equation is scalar Helmholtz equation).

I am getting correct answer but without specifying Dirichlet boundary condition! (Tangential component of electric field should be zero on boundary element).
and if i applied boundary condition, getting same answer but field plot is different .
one thing i used nodal based rectangular element and mesh generated in my own flash program Mmesh.

please help me to solve above problem.

Welcome to the PF.

We probably will need a lot more information to be of help on this question. Can you post some plots that show the output from your program?

Dear Berkeman,
I have attached field plots from my program for TE10(without bc),TE20 (without bc),TE11(without bc) and TM11 (with bc).
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• te10wbc.jpg
    te10wbc.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 396
  • te20wbc.jpg
    te20wbc.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 383
  • te11wbc.jpg
    te11wbc.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 399
  • tm11bc.jpg
    tm11bc.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 384

Related to Help with finite element program I developed for Diff Eqns

1. What is a finite element program for differential equations?

A finite element program for differential equations is a computer program that uses the finite element method to solve differential equations. The finite element method is a numerical technique for finding approximate solutions to differential equations by dividing the problem domain into smaller, simpler parts. These smaller parts are called finite elements, and the program uses mathematical equations and algorithms to solve for the unknown variables at each element, ultimately providing a solution for the entire problem.

2. How does a finite element program work?

A finite element program works by first dividing the problem domain into smaller finite elements, usually using a mesh. Then, the program uses mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the values of the unknown variables at each element. These values are then combined to provide a solution for the entire problem. The program also usually includes features for visualization and analysis of the results.

3. What types of differential equations can be solved using a finite element program?

A finite element program can solve a wide range of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and boundary value problems (BVPs). It can also handle different types of equations, such as elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic equations.

4. What are the advantages of using a finite element program for differential equations?

There are several advantages to using a finite element program for differential equations. First, it allows for the solution of complex problems that may not have analytical solutions. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to traditional numerical methods. Additionally, the program can handle a wide range of problem types and can easily be adapted for different equations and problem domains.

5. What are some tips for using a finite element program for differential equations?

One important tip for using a finite element program is to carefully choose the mesh size. A smaller mesh can provide a more accurate solution, but it may also increase the computation time significantly. It is also important to validate the results by comparing them to known solutions or using convergence analysis. Additionally, it is helpful to have a good understanding of the underlying mathematical principles and algorithms used in the program to effectively troubleshoot any issues that may arise.