Help to visually identify a corrosion type

In summary, the conversation is about a potential corrosion issue observed during a controlled test on a component in an automotive company's "product assurance" department. The person speaking is seeking help in identifying the type of corrosion and suspects a test setup issue due to contamination. They also mention that the bracket is made of steel and the screw is possibly plated.
Molydood
Hi all,

I work in the "product assurance" department for an automotive company, and we have encountered what looks to be a corrosion effect during a controlled test (85 degrees C and 85% relative humidity) on one of our components.

I feel that my limited knowledge of chemistry is really letting me down with this one (most of our failure mechanisms are mechanical or electrical)... I wonder if anybody can identify visually or with an intelligent guess, at the type of corrsosion this is (see attached picture?)

We have checked the humidity chamber and the water has been de-ionised and has a resistance of 60kohms/cm. It appears that both the large metal bracket and also the small metal screw have been effected, so we are suspecting a test setup issue (ie some contaminent is entering the chamber maybe diffusing off the surface of the bracket)

any help would be appreciated

Martin

Attachments

• 2009_0827_171121.jpg
    2009_0827_171121.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 409
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the bracket made out of zinc or aluminum?
Is the screw made of steel?

bracket is steel
screw - not sure, will go and check, but its probably plated

Related to Help to visually identify a corrosion type

1. What are the different types of corrosion?

The most common types of corrosion include uniform or general corrosion, pitting corrosion, galvanic corrosion, crevice corrosion, and stress corrosion cracking.

2. How can I visually identify corrosion?

Corrosion can be identified by its appearance, such as discoloration, roughness, or flaking on the surface of a metal. Other signs may include the presence of rust, cracks, or pitting.

3. What causes corrosion?

Corrosion is caused by a chemical reaction between a metal and its environment. Factors that contribute to corrosion include exposure to moisture, oxygen, and certain chemicals.

4. Can corrosion be prevented?

Yes, corrosion can be prevented through various methods such as using corrosion-resistant materials, applying protective coatings, and implementing proper maintenance and cleaning procedures.

5. How can I determine the severity of corrosion?

The severity of corrosion can be determined by assessing the extent of damage to the metal, such as the depth of pitting or the amount of material loss. Corrosion can also be measured using instruments that detect changes in electrical resistance or magnetic properties of the metal.