Help Solve the Maths Challenge: Positive Integer with All Digits 1

In summary, the conversation is about a challenging math problem involving a positive integer with all digits being 1 and finding a possible value of q in the equation pX^2 + qX + r where p, q, and r are fixed integer coefficients and p > 0. The participants discuss possible solutions and theories, but ultimately conclude that there is no possible value of q that satisfies the equation.
Trail_Builder
one of the "maths challenge" questions. one of the only ones i couldn't do :S I've tried for a good number of hours, but havnt found a way to do it. I feel any more time would just be brute forcing it which i wouldn't have time for in the exam anyways.

hope you can help

Homework Statement

X is a positive integer in which each digit is 1; that is, X is of the form 111111...
Given that every digit of the integer pX^2 + qX + r (where p, q, and r are fixed integer coefficients and p > 0) is also 1. Irrespective of the number of digits X. Which of the following is a possible value of q?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

:S

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if I understood correctly. Then can't you substitute x=1 and p=1 and then see what numbers for q would give you an integer with each digit being 1. Understand?

it has to work for every possibly permutation of X I think.

hence "Irrespective of the number of digits X" and "where p, q, and r are fixed".

is that right?

I know absolutely zero number theory, but here are my musings on this:

If X=11111... with n 1's, then X^2 contains all the digits from (and contained in) 1 to n, no more and no less.So
X^2 = 123...n...321 where n is the no. of 1's in X for n<11 (10=>0). n>10, X^2 contains all numbers 0, 1, ...9
pX^2 = p(123...n...321)
qX = qqqqq... n q's in total

So q=0 if n=1 and r= 0. For higher n the digits of X^2 are not all 1's.

p(123...n...321) + qqqq...+r = 111...
Is there a digit q that satisfies:
p(123...n...321) + qqqq... +r = 1111...

Apparently not: p(123...n...321) is of length 2n-1 (number of digits it contains), and qqqq... is of length n.
Im obviously not sure of all this, but it seems like this may have something to do with it. If it does, you can work it out and formalise it, if not, you can ignore me :D

Last edited:
well if q is 10 and r is 0 won't the integer be 11?

Edit: qspeechc might be right in what he's saying but I can't understand it at the moment but I hope you did.

Last edited:
To repeat myself; I don't know any number theory.

If q is 10^n, then all it does is add n zeroes on the end of the 1's, and you can see then that it doesn't change anything.

I don't think he's checked this.

Related to Help Solve the Maths Challenge: Positive Integer with All Digits 1

1. What is the maths challenge about?

The maths challenge is about finding a positive integer that contains only the digits 1. This means that the number can only be made up of the digits 1, 11, 111, and so on.

2. What is the goal of the challenge?

The goal of the challenge is to find the smallest positive integer that contains all of the digits 1. This means that the number must be made up of at least four 1s.

3. How can I approach solving this challenge?

One approach to solving this challenge is to start with the smallest possible number (111) and then keep adding 1 to it until you reach a number that contains all the digits 1. You can also use divisibility rules and patterns to help narrow down the possibilities.

4. Are there any restrictions on the use of mathematical operations?

No, there are no restrictions on the use of mathematical operations. You can use any mathematical operation, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to solve this challenge.

5. Is there only one possible solution to this challenge?

No, there are multiple possible solutions to this challenge. However, the challenge is to find the smallest positive integer that contains all the digits 1, so there is only one correct solution.