Help plotting 2 functions on Maple 13

In summary, the two problems the user is having are finding the lim x->1 and finding the lim x->0. For (a), they enter the command:plot((x^3-1)/(sqrt(x)-1), x = 0 .. 10)into Maple and it plots okay. However, when they enter the function into Maple with square brackets, it doesn't work. For (b), they enter tan(3x) into Maple and when they try to plot it, they receive the warning "Warning, unable to evaluate the function to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct." However, when they try to plot it with round brackets, it plots
sp09ta
1. I have 2 problems in which I'm asked to plot a function using maple(sorry i don't know latex yet):

a. f(x)=[x^3-1]/[sqrt(x)-1] - find the lim x->1
Here i receive an empty graph for some reason... :(

b. f(x)=[tan(3x)]/[tan(5x)] - find the lim x->0
When i attempt to plot this graph, i receive the message: "Warning, unable to evaluate the function to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct" no matter how much i tweak the domain of the plot.

Why can't I plot these functions??

2. Maple commands used (f=function, a=lowest x value, b=highest x value)

plot(f,x=a..b);

a. I've used a table of values to estimate that lim x->1 is equal to 6

b. I've used a table of values to estimate that lim x->0 is equal to 3/5

Physics news on Phys.org
For (a) I entered the command:

plot((x^3-1)/(sqrt(x)-1), x = 0 .. 10)

into Maple (version 11) and it plotted okay. Are you inputting "f" or the actual function? Did you define f with "f:="? When I entered either function into Maple with the square brackets it didn't work. It did work fine without them though. By a brief look at the help files, "plot" with square brackets is for parametric equations, so probably not what you're looking for.

Oh. Maybe it's because I was using Maple v.13. I'll retry on v.11.

sp09ta said:
Oh. Maybe it's because I was using Maple v.13. I'll retry on v.11.

I haven't used Maple 13, but it seems very unlikely to me that it can't plot. So you should be able to plot a graph in it, even if the language isn't the same as in v11. Did you try it in v13 with round brackets () instead of square []?

K its working perfectly now that I used the round parenthesis instead of square! Thx mathie, won't make that mistake again!

Great! Good luck with the rest of your work.

If you don't have to use Maple (like for homework or something), then I would suggest using Wolfram Alpha. For example, your first function's graph would be inputted something like http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+(x^3-1)/(sqrt(x)-1)+from+0+to+3". Being online, it's always available and can interrupt what you type, so you don't have to be as strict with syntax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Help plotting 2 functions on Maple 13

1. How do I plot two functions on Maple 13?

To plot two functions on Maple 13, you can use the "plot" command followed by the two functions separated by a comma. For example, to plot the functions f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = 2x, you would type "plot(x^2, 2x)" into the Maple 13 command line.

2. Can I change the appearance of the plotted functions?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the plotted functions by using additional parameters in the "plot" command. Some options include changing the color, line style, and range of the plot. Refer to the Maple 13 documentation for a full list of available parameters.

3. How do I add a legend to my plot?

To add a legend to your plot, you can use the "legend" command followed by the labels for each function. For example, if you have plotted the functions f(x) = x and g(x) = 2x, you could type "legend('f(x)', 'g(x)')" to add a legend with those labels.

4. Is it possible to plot more than two functions on the same graph?

Yes, you can plot multiple functions on the same graph by separating them with commas in the "plot" command. You can also use the "display" command to plot functions separately and then combine them into one graph.

5. Can I save my plot as an image or export it to another program?

Yes, you can save your plot as an image by using the "export" command and specifying the desired file format. You can also copy and paste the plot into other programs, or use the "save" command to save the plot as a Maple worksheet.