Help Me Prove Two Expressions Equal: Can You?

• Thread starter ArnfinnS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the equality of two expressions involving sums and variables x and y. The second expression is a slight modification of the first and requires transposing. The conversation also mentions using LaTeX for clearer representation and provides a hint for finding the values of x and y.
ArnfinnS
hi i have a small problem.
i need to prove that these two expressions are equal :

(n*Sum{i=1,n}Xi*Yi - Sum{i=1,n}Xi*Sum{i=1,n}Yi)/(n*Sum{i=1,n}(Xi)^2 - (Sum{i=1,n}Xi)^2)

and the expression :

(Sum{i=1,n}(Xi)*(Xi*Y^ - Yi*X^))/(Sum{i=1,n}((Xi)^2 - (x^)^2 ))

here is x^ and y^ the middle values of x and y .

i need to transpose the one expression over in the other. But i can't get this to work.

Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eek, these come off as very confusing, it would really help if you could learn LaTeX, did you mean:

[tex]\frac{n \sum_{i=1}^{n} \left( X_i Y_i \right ) - \sum_{i=1}^{n} \left( X_i \right) \sum_{i=1}^{n} \left( Y_i \right) }{n \sum_{i=1}^{n} \left(X_i^2 \right) - \left( \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_i \right)^2}[/tex]

And:

[tex]\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} \left( X_i \left(X_iy - Y_ix \right) \right)}{\sum_{i=1}^{n} \left( \left X_i^2 - x^2 \right)} [/tex]

I've used x and y instead of X^ and Y^.

Last edited:
hi

yes that's exactly what i meant:)
Can you help me?

hi

yes that's exactly what i meant:) I need to transform the one expression over in the other.

Can you help me?

Actually I made a slight mistake in representing the 2nd one, I think that's waht you mean now. Sorry I have no idea how to do this, just putting it in clear form for those who might.

Do you know what [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] mean in terms of things from the first expression?

edit: nevermind, it seems that you've said something in your first post. I take it you mean they're the averages? in that case here's a hint: [itex] x = \left(\sum_{i=0}^n X_i\right)/n[/itex] and [itex]y=\left(\sum_{i=0}^n Y_i \right)/n[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Help Me Prove Two Expressions Equal: Can You?

1. How do I prove two expressions are equal?

To prove two expressions are equal, you need to show that they have the same value for all possible values of the variables. This can be done by simplifying both expressions and comparing them, using substitution, or using algebraic properties.

2. What are some common methods for proving expressions equal?

Some common methods for proving expressions equal include simplifying the expressions, using substitution, using algebraic properties, or using mathematical induction.

3. Can you provide an example of proving two expressions equal?

Sure, let's say we want to prove that (x+1)^2 = x^2 + 2x + 1. We can simplify the left side to x^2 + 2x + 1, which is the same as the right side. Therefore, we have proved that the two expressions are equal.

4. What should I do if I can't prove the two expressions equal?

If you are unable to prove the two expressions equal, it is possible that they are not equal. In this case, you may need to revisit your calculations or assumptions to see if there is an error.

5. Can two expressions be equal even if they look different?

Yes, two expressions can be equal even if they look different. This is because they may have different forms, but still represent the same value. For example, (x+1)^2 and x^2 + 2x + 1 may look different, but they are equal expressions.